What's new
What's new

Quoting wire work

rmikl

Plastic
How does everyone else quote wire work?

The way that I have been going about it is to divide the length of cut by the inches per hour that the machine tech file says it will to take to burn the thickness and cutting sequence that I am using. That method gives me an approximate estimate but it is never accurate because the many variables involved, i.e. strategy on corner radi and less then ideal flushing situations.

I am sure there are better methods out there, so any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Bob

I use 3 methods;

If it's a one-off part, I will make a "best guess" coming from my experience.

If it's small or decent-sized production job and I'm fairly certain that I will be getting the job -- I will take a test cut or make a complete test part and get a solid number on time. To me, it's the fair way to protect not only myself, but the customer as well.

And finally, on some jobs I will simply quote to the customer that it will be "x" dollars/hour for pure burn time directly off the machine's statistics when the job is done. Obviously this last one is not really a "quote", but nevertheless... I have some customers that know me and are perfectly happy being invoiced this way.

PM

Years ago I started a log book containing actual cutting speeds that my machine could achieve in various materials and thicknesses. I keep it by the machine and record the cutting information and a description of the setup once the job is running.

It is very useful for quoting once you have several entries logged.

I ended up taking a test cut to give me an accurate quote. I generally do not run many production jobs, so coming up with exact cycle times is new to me.

Thanks for the help and quick responses!

Bob

Back