What's new
What's new

Book recommendation?

Just Bob Again

Aluminum
Been doing conventional machining for 30 years but I want to learn something about EDM. I know a bit but have never really run one. Maybe get a used machine at some point. Can anybody recommend some good books that cover the subject in detail? Ram and wire, electrode choice, setup, etc.

My recommendation is to try and get hooked up with someone that can show you the ropes. The amount of useful literature out there is minimal... and as always; a picture is worth a thousand words! An hour in a shop that's running a plunge or wire edm machine with a friendly and communicative operator, and you'll learn more than all the books out there combined.

just my 2c

Yep, was afraid of that. Too busy right now to go out and play. I was hoping to read some first so I won't look like too much of an idiot when I start looking at real machinery. Plus, the big shops I know won't let you on the floor anymore and I don't know any small places with EDM right now.

Well, if you ever find yourself on the opposite side of the country, you're welcome to drop into my shop for a wire primer. :)

what book to buy

Hi Just Bob Again:
Do a Google search for Bud Guitrau.
He's got an excellent general book out that covers this topic very well indeed.
Also, try to get hold of machine manuals...many of them have sections devoted to the how and why of it all.
But do get hold of a copy of Bud's book...it was worthwhile for me when I got back into EDM after many years absence.
Cheers

Marcus

I ordered a book or two. None seemed to get very good reviews but there aren't many books to pick from. I'll see if I can find some local people to give me a show & tell. Thanks.

Back