What's new
What's new

Brother HS-50

SUPRTOY

Plastic
I have a HS-50 and the wire spool will not rewind the wire during automatic threading without a little help. I have run the powder clutch program and no change. Any suggestions as to what the problem might be ?

I don't believe it supposed to rewind.
It has some back tension during cutting, but for threading, all motion comes from the threader.....

I have a HS-50 and the wire spool will not rewind the wire during automatic threading without a little help. I have run the powder clutch program and no change. Any suggestions as to what the problem might be ?

There is a motor with an encoder mounted behind the wire spool. This is where the powder clutch is located. I believe this motor is not functioning properly. Looking for a replacement.

Umm. No.
The wire spool motor is just a DC motor with fw/rev capability, but as I see it, it will only reverse when cutting the wire.
When the machine is cutting ( as in machining ) this motor has a small voltage applied to keep tension between the spool and the tension roller.
The encoder is there only to signal the machine that there is either a wire break or end-of-spool ( Wire Break or Wire Break 2 )
That encoder is not the governor for wire speed.

The powder brake is behind the tension roller, which is the neoprene roller in the middle. It has no motion capability whatsoever, it only keeps accurate and steady tension
on the wire.

The wire speed is controlled by the carbide rollers in the back of the machine, just before the chopper.

So, if you want to test any of these motors, you can do so in the I/O page.
You can turn on individual consumers one by one to check their functionality.

Just saw that you've replied a while ago ....

Anyhow, there is no way from here to tell where your problem is.
First thing, you can go to I/O - Motion Check, where you can turn on individual items.
I believe the spool motor is one of them.

I get that your machine does not rewind for cutting, but do you have any other problems as well?
I mean if that motor was dead, then you will see a fluctuating wire tension between the spool and the tension roller when machining,
as the spool motor is slightly energized to keep a steady tension between those two.
This will lead to unstable machining as well as the primary tension will be fluctuating also.

Back