What's new
What's new

Brother Hs-50a service manual

SBAER

Hot Rolled
Last week the weather was good so I picked up the two Brother EDM machines I bought from HGR Surplus. Everything went pretty smoothly and I have the most promising looking of the two machines powered up.

While I was wiring it up I noticed that the X and Y scale connectors were dangling in the cabinet, I hooked them back up. The machine boots up fine and I have been able to jog the X Y and Z axis but when I try to home X and Y the machine hits the overtravel limit switches. It occurs to me that the linear scales might be absolute and that they lost position when unplugged. The operator manual I have does not seem to have a section on resetting absolute zero. Does anybody have a copy of a service manual for this machine?

For the record, I have never run an EDM machine, never even seen one running other than a Youtube video. I will need some help and would be interested in paying someone local with experience on this machine to give me some lessons.

I plan to order two big filters and get my hands on some de-ionized water next week

Attachments

• IMG_0885.jpg
    IMG_0885.jpg
    92.3 KB · Views: 212
Hi Stan: Cant help re manual but if you need some resin let me know I have a bag full. As far as water, at the risk of being ridiculed, I use the condensate from my high efficiency furnace or filtered water from the food store.
Bob

Hmm, I don't think they are absolute, but they absolutely work DIFFERENTLY than one would expect!!!

My 3100 does not need homing after power-up. I can actually stop the machine mid-run and power it off.
Then, next day turn it back on and hit Water/Wire/Electricity and Start. All is well.

Not on the 50A!!!
It requires homing every time power is cycled.
The way it does it though is absolutely mysterious!
Power-off and back on: Homes fine.
BUT!
If you power it off and manually move the table ( yes, the screw pitch allows it ) then it will hit the overtravel!!!
I for the life of me cannot fathom why?
Anyhow, when that happens this is what I do:
Power on and hit Home.
When the overtravel message shows up, I hit E-stop, manually pull the table a 1/4"-1/2" or so, then home again.
If it hits the switch again, I pull the table a bit more.
Rinse and Repeat until it homes.

Again, it does not make any sense to me. Why does it need homing if it expects to be at a certain position anyway???

I'm not much of a tec writer but here goes. Bad news is the backup battery died and you have lost the data needed to "home" the machine..ect. There is other data lost, lead screw comp., power comp...ect. Some of this information was shipped with each machine. Look for the paper work on the inside of the back door. Inputting this data will be a challenge! Regarding the "home cycle" there is a grid shift value that is missing (no battery). YOU must calculate it for each machine axis x,y,u,v and z,. The calculation will be in MM and the machine will have to be set in MM mode to accept the input. There after the machine can be set to inch mode. I would wait to get the machine "homed" before spending any more money. Sorry, you may never be successful.

Good luck,
John

Thanks for the tip of how to get the machine to home. It appears the x axis limit switch bracket was bent, after fiddling with the limit switch dogs and using the try and try again method I got it to home. My pumps turn freely so I think i will buy some wire and filters and try the next step.

Back