What's new
What's new

Changing battery - '92 DWC110-SZ

Wade C

Stainless
Im looking at changing the battery on the Mits 110SZ, and not finding anything in the books as far as procedure.

Looks like there is a cover for the battery, but its sort of in there and hard to get to - but it appears that the little "module" that holds the battery (and the cover screws onto) is removable as well. So Im wondering, is it safe, with the power on, and the EStop depressed, to remove the little module type deal that contains the battery so that one can more easily get in there and change the battery?

Or is that asking for trouble?

Just want to make sure I do things the right way - I dont like surprises caused by my lack of knowledge :nopity:

Wade

Im looking at changing the battery on the Mits 110SZ, and not finding anything in the books as far as procedure.

Looks like there is a cover for the battery, but its sort of in there and hard to get to - but it appears that the little "module" that holds the battery (and the cover screws onto) is removable as well. So Im wondering, is it safe, with the power on, and the EStop depressed, to remove the little module type deal that contains the battery so that one can more easily get in there and change the battery?

Or is that asking for trouble?

Just want to make sure I do things the right way - I dont like surprises caused by my lack of knowledge :nopity:

Wade

Breaker off.

"Breaker Off" As in only replace the battery with the machine off and the power disconnected - ie I need to reload everything when ever I change the batter?

Thanks - Just making sure I understand what youre saying
Wade

"Breaker Off" As in only replace the battery with the machine off and the power disconnected - ie I need to reload everything when ever I change the batter?

Thanks - Just making sure I understand what youre saying
Wade

That's what he meant.

For the record, I have swapped the battery in my older K series Mits with the Power on to avoid having to reload the works. Its right up front and easily accessible.

Sure, functionally you could probably get away with hot swapping the battery. But if you're looking for someone to tell you to reach your hands into a live electrical cabinet that you're obviously unfamiliar with, while holding a metal screwdriver, you got the wrong guy ;)

I wouldn't worry too much about dumping the software, it should be re-loaded on those 32bit machines every 6 months or so anyway.

Sure, functionally you could probably get away with hot swapping the battery. But if you're looking for someone to tell you to reach your hands into a live electrical cabinet that you're obviously unfamiliar with, while holding a metal screwdriver, you got the wrong guy ;)

I wouldn't worry too much about dumping the software, it should be re-loaded on those 32bit machines every 6 months or so anyway.

Just stay away from any real thick wires lol

Yeah I understand where youre coming from, but I also realize what ever I do, I do by my choice, and its not someone elses fault if I mess up.

My main concern is potential issues with the actual software disks, being that Im not registered with Mits and dont presently have the 1500 (if it hasnt gone up since I last checked) to spend on "registering" with them for the privilege of buying things like system disks. Thats why I was leaning towards maintaining whats there. But if a reload is a good thing for these, its been 2 years since I got it, so guess it would officially be past due for that.

Wade

Hey Wade, it should just be a 6 volt battery about the size of a lawn mower battery right out in the front' at the bottom of the cabinet. You can "hot swap" it but DO NOT let the battery cables touch each other, or touch any thing else that is metallic. Breaker off would be better, but If you do not have the disks or the reader, you will not be able to recover the parameters once you've disconnected the battery with the breaker off.... Reloading the parameters is no problem at all as long as you have everything that you need

On the SZ's that are here, they are 3.6v little packs... three 1.2v cells that are about as big around as a C cell, but only about 3/8" tall, with a tab soldered on each end. No wires.

And of course, the pack is sort of down in there... When I started parting out the 90SZ (and getting things put on shelves for just in case down the road) that I have, I noticed that the battery is in a cartridge or caddy type thing, where you could remove that, so that you could get to the battery more easily, but it has a little card and such in there with it, which is why I was concerned about pulling that out while the machine was one... and doing the battery without might be a little nerve racking... Which is why I made the initial post.

But sounds like its just best to do it with the power off and reload, and hope the disks are good, and I have everything I need since I dont have the 1500 or what ever it is right now to register the machine with mits to get what ever I might be missing.
When I do it, Ill likely step up to larger cells, and likely bring in some sort of wires and plugs so that I can make hot swapping an option down the road should I run into disk issues etc....

Thanks
Wade

Make your Backup Disk before you do it, make your life easier.

BTW the $1700 is a lot of money to pay for registering, but I must admit it was worth it. Being able to fire Emails off to Tech Support and have an answer usually within 20 mins has been VERY nice.

Yeah, already have a back up... did the "write all" or some such wording, that appears it took across the back lash, pitch error, programs, epaks, etc... So should be good there. And do have all of them backed up separately on the PC via RS232 - so multiple locations of the data.

So they are pretty quick and responsive eh? Good to know.

How are they cost wise with stuff like System software disks, manuals, etc? I could see that being something that became next to free with the registration, or was an insult at an additional 2-5k after paying for registering.

Thanks!
Wade

Yeah, already have a back up... did the "write all" or some such wording, that appears it took across the back lash, pitch error, programs, epaks, etc... So should be good there. And do have all of them backed up separately on the PC via RS232 - so multiple locations of the data.

So they are pretty quick and responsive eh? Good to know.

How are they cost wise with stuff like System software disks, manuals, etc? I could see that being something that became next to free with the registration, or was an insult at an additional 2-5k after paying for registering.

Thanks!
Wade

I believe the software was cheap. The servo amp on the other hand was anything but!

Back