What's new
What's new

Charmilles 640cc Axis over-travel errors

JayCrumb

Aluminum
Howdee all,

Local shop is getting an over-travel error on the X axis when near the ends of travel but not actually at the end of travel.
First thought was a dirty/worn seal plate as it is leaking pretty bad.
But...the error only occurs when the tank is full...
Not sure how the addition of a full tank of water would make a dirty seal plate cause a servo error.
This fact has me thinking something in the axis motor as now it has to move the water weight as well.

Anyone experience anything like this?

Jay Crumb
Advanced EDM, LLC

Howdee all,

Local shop is getting an over-travel error on the X axis when near the ends of travel but not actually at the end of travel.
First thought was a dirty/worn seal plate as it is leaking pretty bad.
But...the error only occurs when the tank is full...
Not sure how the addition of a full tank of water would make a dirty seal plate cause a servo error.
This fact has me thinking something in the axis motor as now it has to move the water weight as well.

Anyone experience anything like this?

Jay Crumb
Advanced EDM, LLC

Judging from the photos I "googled" your not moving the water as the tank is stationary.

I suspect the addition of the water is causing the seal plate to bind, though why only at the travel limits I cannot say.

Sounds logical, but why would it only cause problems when the tank is full?

One thought would be that the weight of the water is pushing the seal outward and it is catching on the blockage, without the weight it may be able to bend inward away from the blockage.

Of course everything makes sense after the root cause is found :D

Back