What's new
What's new

EDM Wire Supply?!

Wired4life

Aluminum
Is anyone else experiencing difficulty with their wire suppliers? One salesman told me he was having trouble getting wire from the manufacturer. I had approximately 1/3 of my "TOPAZ" request backordered for a month. Today I recieve only 1/3 of my Megacut, Remainder to ship in a week.

I don't usually account for these delays when ordering. I may end up in the office with some " 'esplaning to do".

Anyone else seeing this too? Or am I just the Lucky one?

Thanks
Dave.

About a month and a half ago, the guy I buy my wire from (Scott N. at Electrodes, Inc.) told me that GISCO has a new N. American Manager, who has initiated a "lean" program. I don't pretend to know all the ins & outs, but basically, he advised me to allow more lead time when ordering wire (I only ever buy Cobra Cut A) to allow for short supplies.

So make sure you order BEFORE you get to the last spool on the shelf!

Last edited:
About a month and a half ago, the guy I buy my wire from (Scott N. at Electrodes, Inc.) told me that GISCO has a new N. American Manager, who has initiated a "lean" program. I don't pretend to know all the ins & outs, but basically, he advised me to allow more lead time when ordering wire (I only ever buy Cobra Cut A) to allow for short supplies.

So make sure you order BEFORE you get to the last spool on the shelf!

"Just in time" manufacturing is great, except it leaves out one very important reality in manufacturing: "just in case".

I ordered 3, 33 lb spools of Gisco bronco cut x this week and was
told they only had the smaller size spools. Im not happy
having to change wire twice as much. We bought our machine with
a big spool option for a reason. I love my bronco wire but I will
be forced to look for a replacment if they can come through with the
big spools.

You would think in a customer support industry like EDM Wire, Having what your customers need, when they need it would be obvious. Oh wait, What the hell am I thinking?!

The supplier doesn't want to sit on an inventory of wire, he wants me to.

I stock quartely quantities (about 200 spools).
The cost savings on that sized bulk purchase far outweighs the cost of wire sitting on my shelf space verses thiers.
I have had issues with not recieving all my wire at once but always attributed it to no-one (but me) wanted to stock (200) 17.5lb spools.
I haven't looked into the shipping of splits though... I sure hope I'm not paying the freight!!

Guys, With India and China growing their industrial bases very quickly they are gobbling up a lot of the world's resources, from construction supplies (concrete, lumber, etc) to EDM wire. Because of the higher demand for copper (have you watched copper prices over the last few years?) there is a shorter supply globally of the main ingredient in EDM wire. Since there is a huge amount more manufacturing going on in these newly industrialized countries, there is also a higher demand for EDM wire, not just the copper itself. The increased demand coupled with a shorter supply of raw material causes the wire to be less accessible and more costly. This means you end up paying more and don't always get your full order. I am with an EDM tool builder and know several EDM supplies providers around the country. They all tel me the same thing - thay have trouble getting THEIR complete supply of ordered wire on time from the manufacturers. This is simply a case of supply and demand economics. Some shops in China order upwards of 75 EDM machines at a time, and one company in China in particular has full factory buildings with up to 1000 machines on the floor. This same company hires about 750 new employees EACH WEEK. Their total head count is in excess of 300,000 employees, all at one location. This company "city" has a population about the size of Pittsburgh. Lean also has something to do with it, but the global economy, like it or not, has a far greater impact on this than does lean.

I'm shocked that you guys are shocked...
17.5lbs lasts me almost exactly 24 hours...
I have burns that go 85 hours in one set-up so I know...
Times that by 65 (conservative amount of days in 3 months... we run 90% of Saturdays and 10% of Sundays)...
65 X 17.5 = 1137.5 per machine.
Multiply that by 8 machines and you come up with a number that shows just how slow my set-ups are...
Hope my boss doesn't see this.

Back