What's new
What's new

Fanuc Wire EDM filters failing

foxbrb

Plastic
I've been running this wire EDM for about 2 years, and never had a problem with the filters. 3 weeks ago our last set needed replacing so I put a brand new set in and ran a test burn. The clean water tank dirtied so bad i couldn't see the bottom within 5 minutes.

So no big deal, bad set of filters. I call our supplier, explain what happened, he apologizes and send me some new ones. Long story short after 4 different sets of filters from this same company, it's still doing the same thing.

At this point I assume it has to be our machine, so for a bit of a control test i put an older set of filters in, and the water clears right up and stay clear though a test burn.

I assume at this point that our suppliers filters must be part of a bad batch and so we order a new set from an entirely different supplier. The new set we order are a polyester filter instead of fabric (his sales pitch worked and they were the same price)

So new filters, new type of filter, new supplier. The water still dirties on a test burn.

Our entire shop is baffled. Any insight anyone has on what could possibly be causing this would be greatly appreciated.

For reference: They are hurricane filters, 5 micron, model no. HR-930-QZ

Hi foxbrb:
Is there any chance that the new filters are missing a gasket, or have the wrong mounting dimensions?
It sounds as though the new filters are being bypassed and aren't actually in the circuit.
I had a similar problem with my old Sodick A320, and it turned out to be that the new filters were a bit shorter than the old ones and couldn't be compressed enough in their mounts to make the gaskets seal.
Doubling up the gaskets solved my problem until I could get proper filters again.
Have you checked the filtration pressure with the new filters?
That was the tipoff for me...ridiculously low filtration pressure with the new filters installed.
Cheers

Marcus
Implant Mechanix – Design & Innovation - home
Vancouver Wire EDM -- Wire EDM Machining

What model Fanuc are you running?

Clean the stainless disc throughly

Check the gasket at the top of the filter. any low spots cuts or scrapes in the applied gasket surface will allow dirty water to bypass.

Check the rubber gasket that goes around the stainless disc. if its deformed or if it is split where the disc is inside of the gasket, it will bypass dirty water.

Hope this helps!

Man Machine

Back