What's new
What's new

how long to cut this part

bob

Titanium
Roughly 8" of cut in 1 1/2 aluminum. Just cosmetic so no real tight tolerance or surfase finish. Just wondering how the newer machines with good operator compare.
Bob

Attachments

• IMG_20180408_154250.jpg
    IMG_20180408_154250.jpg
    80.7 KB · Views: 338
About that... :))
What speed (mm/s) you have trying to cut, lets say, a piece with 35mm height ( steel 58 HRC). With my AggieCUT20P i have around 0.8-0.9 mm/s.

Im just curious

Bob,

Is that raised boss, the center hub, present on both sides of the part? If so, Pete and Brian are both going to have to add some time, since flushing isn't sealed off.

Don't beat yourself - or your old machine - up too badly. If she's paid for, and you can walk away and do other things while she works, she's worth her weight in gold.

Dan

Boss is done after not EDM. Don't do this for a living so you are right time is not a big issue. Just really interesting to see how much has changed since 1980 when my machine was built

Fwiw: On my Agie 170HSS that I had, if I used Cobra Cut B wire (copper core), I could cut aluminum at 50 sq-in / hour. Something very magic about that wire... would almost double the material removal rate. Extremely expen$ive, but completely worth it on a tall aluminum part.

I went fairly conservative on my 24 minute estimate (a few corners in there, and padded it just a touch -- but still thinking of a fairly modern machine).

The Cut 2000 I ran for a few years would cut quite fast using straight brass wire, but still could not cut aluminum like my HSS did with the "magic" wire. :)

PM

I seem to remember that CobraCut B being really soft and difficult to thread - especially in a tall part. Those old AGIEs lacked any kind of straightener / annealer, which didn't help matters much.

I wonder what kind of machine the OP is running?

OffsetLeft,

Yes... you are absolutely correct -- about the only way to thread it unattended was to program in a Z-up move of a few inches. Once enough wire was out of the upper head, it was "usually" possible for the threading jet to straighten it out enough to thread. It was rare that I ran this wire unattended though, as I typically only used it in tall aluminum parts or titanium parts (not to mention that it was around $550 for a 30lb roll back in 2010. ouch. I was careful not to waste any!

I spent a bit more time on the machine. It is an Elox/Fanuc built in 1980. Low hours from trade school. Cranked up the volts to 5 on the control guage shows 75 volts set amp at 17 guage shows 25 full capacitance and 70/70 on off. Cutting about 5" per hour in 1 1/4 al with .010 wire still pretty slow but much better than before.
Bob

Back