What's new
What's new

I pick up my Raycon r20b sinker tomorrow...

dsergison

Diamond
I just read most of the back issues of EDM today.

I ordered 25 gallons of rustlick edm 30 oil, a tool makers vise, and a foot of 3/4" round graphite electrode yesterday from enco.

what's the first thing I should do once I get it installed?

(and after putting a fire alarm over it and making sure the tank float shuts off current.)

I've never edm'd anything before.

Thanks! Dan

First things

First thing to do is get rid of the Rustlick and go with one of the new synthetics if you can.
They're MUCH nicer to work with; no stink, no mess, lower fire hazard.
Ionopuls is one brand (it's the green one), I know Commonwealth makes an equivalent that's clear.
It's expensive, but will make your life much more pleasant.
The biggest drawback is that you have to clean out the dielectric system very well before you put in the good stuff.
Cheers

Marcus
Implant Mechanix – Design & Innovation - home
Vancouver Wire EDM -- Wire EDM Machining

I agree, Commonwealth 244 is great stuff, almost $1000 bucks a drum but its clean and clear. Welcome to edm.

I was assured ionoplus was in it last, and I ordered a drum of "EDM 3001 Lite" from EDM Zap for $1k, as it appeared to be the nearest equivalent, and local.

it's all installed. I wired it up last night and confirmed pump rotation and jogged the ram. have not got the fluid yet so I did not try any burning or pumping. (unplugged the circulation pumps after checking rotation)

Attachments

• IMG_20120220_154649.jpg
    IMG_20120220_154649.jpg
    79.1 KB · Views: 348
thanks,

your correct, 3/5 of my basement

I have 1 20hp phase perfect digital feeding all 4 of my machines. bport, 10x30 lathe, fadal vmc15, raycon edm.

I usually only run 1 or 2 at a time as it's just me. and I'm not hogging metal.
the edm just displaced my computer and it's shelving. things are getting kind of tight.

Wifey has been really wanting a glass sun room. I am bartering building her the sunroom for taking over the rest of the basement.
my shop, before edm
Page Title

Ok my next question is how the heck did u get the CNC down there :D

Is the 20HP RPC big enough? I was figuring a 25HP one, but Id love to save the few bucks if its not needed.

I was assured ionoplus was in it last, and I ordered a drum of "EDM 3001 Lite" from EDM Zap for $1k, as it appeared to be the nearest equivalent, and local.

it's all installed. I wired it up last night and confirmed pump rotation and jogged the ram. have not got the fluid yet so I did not try any burning or pumping. (unplugged the circulation pumps after checking rotation)

Boy ... does that photo bring back memories.

If only more of them were good memories ... :rolleyes5:

Wow tight squeeze, looks like it was fun lol. It looks like you secured a line and used a winch to pull it in on the rollers?

Rustlic 250

I run Rustlick 250, and so far I havn't had any issues. I even tried to ignite a small sample with a propane torch, and it wouldn't catch on fire. I got a couple of 1 gallon free samples (by contacting their sales rep) of both the 250 and the 500 synthetic. Did a couple of test burns in a small stainless steel pan, clamped to the table, pump off, but used the electrode pumping up and down for flushing. Crude, but gave me a test. The 250 didn't have any compatability issues with the residual oil my the machine, and not much smell. More affordable also.

BTW, I wish my floor looked as nice as yours. Nice shop.

Wow tight squeeze, looks like it was fun lol. It looks like you secured a line and used a winch to pull it in on the rollers?

yes a winch to get in the door, which is a bit uphill and just a 3/4 ply on mushy gravel.. once on level concrete pinch bars or just pushing.

pipes and pinch bars are incredibly easy to use. even easy to rotate a machine in spot just arrange the pipes radially. and safe if you watch your fingers and toes. most machines cant possibly tip if they fall off a 1.5" od pipe.

Back