What's new
What's new

Mits fx20k floppy

opus

Plastic
My workplace has recently acquired a new Mitsubishi (FA20S) to replace the FX20K that was previously in use. Our EDM operator has many floppy disks that were formated on the old mits fx20k machine. These disks have a lot of general 'programs' for standard items that we use to build other parts. How can I get these files off these disks? All appear unreadable to the computer and the new EDM.

Many thanks

Steve White

I have a Mits dwc-110H, 1986 model that still sees daily service, our only wire edm. I know the exec tapes are a propritary format to mits controllers, but the files themselves are just plain ascii text. what you should have done was rs-232 them out from the old machine before you took it out of power if there was any question. I know I use the rs-232 exclusively for data transfer in and out.

Steve,
Did the disks still work on the FX? If so, your pc should have no trouble reading them. I keep all my repete jobs backed up on seperate floppy, and the pc hard drive. Our FX seams to "eat" floppys, pull the cover back on them and you see a line or two on the disk itself. If you see this your disk is toast. I just wanted to say that we are getting a FA20P, can't wait!!!
We are keeping the FX20 and we also have an SX10.
Good luck, Bill.

P.S. I also format my floppys for the 720K format on the pc and not at the control. If you are using 1.44MB floppys, you need to cover the square hole at the opposite corner from the write erase lock tab with a piece of scotch tape.

Many thanks for the posts.

The FX20K went away as part of the deal, I no longer have access to it. Part of the reason it went away was it's inability to rs-232 with the PC. Probably the PC (windows 2k and Esprit CAD/CAM 2003) causing the problem.

As for the 720k disks, I have tried all of that. Still no go. I think I still have a win98 box around here that might read the mits disks. Does anyone know if this should work or not? The windows 2000 box will not recognize the floppies as being formatted at all.

Thanks for all your responses.

Steve White
Whittier, CA

funny, I have nothing but problems with floppys discs...I will format one then put some files on it from the toolroom Gibbs computer, then take it over to the EDM...but with all the modifications I end up making, I have to take the floppy out and go back to the toolroom gibbs computer to straighten out the issues, and 25% of the time, the damm toolroom computer says the disc isnt formated...when only 15 minutes before it PUT THE FILES ON THAT DISC!!!!!!!!!.. crazy.....I have to insert the floppy a few times once in a while in the edm for it to finally work.......now we have the hard drive in the Mitsubishi edm available to access from the toolroom-Gibbs computer...so i can drop files or remove them from the machine right from the Gibbs computer near our workbenchs.....the RS232 was too long a run for us.......bob

I feel your pain.

The new FA20S that replaced the FX20K has an ethernet port. moving files to and from it is simplicity itself. These old FX20K floppies are a real PITA.

Thanks for the post.

Steve White

I have a FX10 and use my floppy all the time with no trouble, but I upgrade my computer to Windows XP pro and haven't figured out how to format discs to 720 MB. Does anyone know how to do that?

Steve,
At work we have XP, and I use "WINFILE.EXE" to format my disks. It opens file manager on that system, which asks if you want to format to 1.44MB or 720K. My home pc is XP Pro, and I do not have winfile.exe or file manager, so it must be an extra program that's loaded on the work system. My home computer has a drop down menu for formating, but only shows 1.44MB as an option. But there must be a way to do it. Get one of your computer literate friends to figgure it out. Wow, I said a lot for not helping much, sorry.

Bill

Simply put a Scotch's tape to cover the hold on right hand side on your floppy disk. When format Windows will only format it as a 720kb disk. :cool:

I use it on my FX10K, and don't have any problem to have the disk reading on my Win2K or WInXP.

Just like everyone said, you need to format 720K, but from my experience XP & newer Windows versions don't work. When I need to format a disk for the Mits, I usually go to the old Windows NT seat and do it there. For whatever reason it will work there. After that just toss the disk in the controller and copy the programs onto it. I do it daily without problems.

Steve

Back