What's new
What's new

Are service contracts for wire EDM machines worthwhile

RJT

Titanium
We have had Mitsubishi wire machines since 1990, several generations of machines. We used to get local service through their distributor (now out of business). Now service comes out of Chicago. We have never had a service contract on any of our machines. I'm interested to know if it's common to have service contract, or do most not use them. I also wonder if it makes a difference on which brand of machine you have. I've been looking at Makino and their threading and guide system looks so much simpler, and simpler is always better for service and cleaning IMO. The drawback I see is Makino does not use a wire chopper which I really like with the Mits machines. Also was looking at Sodik but they haven't had much representation in the southeast recently. Anyway, what brand do you have, and do you find a service contract beneficial?

Why wouldn't you consider an AgieCharmilles machine? There is a service/applications center in Charlotte only an hour away. As of right now there is no service contract needed. You have a machine they fix it. you need info they provide it. You need training it's free and less than 1 hour away. How much do you spend in travel expenses for a guy to come from Chicago? If you want a simple wire drive system check out these machines. Agievision machines thread in less that 10 seconds and cut the wire even faster. They use one set of guides for .013 to .004 wire. The machines have Duowire TEC which allows you to rough with .010 and trim with .004 or .006 wire and all you have to do is change wire when the machine tells you to. It automatically comps for the different wire diameter and there is no need to change guides. The threaders on the CUT 20/200 machines use round guides and anneal the wire if you prefer that. AgieCharmilles offers UPTIME which is an annual visit by a service engineer to clean and recalibrate the machine as well as the replacement of the wear parts on the machine. The parts that come with it are worth the price alone. I know I sound like a salesman but i am not. You can correct me if i'm wrong, but i believe with Mits once your machine is out of warranty or if you buy used you have to buy a service contract for them to even talk to you on the phone. A buddy of mine picked one up at auction and needed to reload the software. We called service for advice and they would not even talk to us with out $2500 up front.

Is the UPTIME included in the cost of the machine? You said there is no service contract, but they "offer" UPTIME which sure sounds like a service contract. I would consider Agie, but they don't have a strong sales presence here. We have purchased several new machines from Mits and have never had a problem getting technical help (applications or parts) even after warranty. Bought a used CNC sinker and not had a problem.

so, I just bought a 98 charmilles robofil. the aggie/charmilles guys in chicago have held my hand for well over a hour on the phone free of charge. I can't thank them enough.

When I was shopping machines I found Sodick help also was also super.

UPTIME is Preventative Maintenance program designed to keep your machine running at optimum conditions and an extension of your factory warranty. There are different levels and they cover different things Maybe i'm misinformed about Mits from my buddies bad experience. Does their service contract cover everything? Is it available on all machines including older ones? Did you have to pay a fee to register the used machine? Is it basicaly a waranty extension?

Not sure of all the particulars on their contract. We never paid a fee to register the used machine. They have given us applications help and sold us parts for it. It may be because we are a long term customer, not sure what the "official" policy is. Sounds like a preventive maintenance program is the same thing I was calling a service contract. Keeping the machines running in top shape is actually what I am trying to achieve.

that is exactly what UPTIME is for. It can cover parts or parts and labor. It can include the PM call. All new machines sold include a visit at the end of the 1st year for an evaluation of the machine to make sure everything is working fine. What type of work do you do?

Back