What's new
What's new

Mitsubishi FA10S edge find

Chris59

Cast Iron
We bought a used Mitsubishi FA10S EDM. We have the manuals and a guy who ran Mitsubishis years ago. We're making parts but have a question about edge finding. When we edge find we have to manually input the wire radius to set the zero. The manual even states in the Basic operations section that you have to account for the radius. Is this right? Seems like a simple calculation for the machine to make. We have the wire diameter set in the Maintenance pages in several places.
Can the machine do it on its own? What are we missing?
Thanks
Chris

Nope. That is correct. How it's done. If it really bothers you that much, you can very easily write a program that calls the edge finding routine, enters the returned data into variables, does the math to calculate the offsets, and dumps the derived numbers into new coordinates, calling it zero.

But it is so trivial to do manually. Why bother? There are more important things to rail against.

Good luck.

Thanks for the answer. Didn't think I was railing but more thinking I was missing a simple step. You are right it is trivial. We had a Brother EDM that would edge find and add the radius automatically (according to our EDM guy). Never got to be involved until recently. Mill, lathe and swiss experience only.
Thanks
Chris

Wasn't mad at your answer. Greatly appreciated it as a matter of fact.
Thanks for your help. I'll stop searching the manual for what I was "missing". Lol.

If you do a "corner pickup" routine it will compensate for the wire diameter. Not sure if what you are cutting will allow for corner though.

I run the same machine and I've found the best way to keep track of this is by writing down each step of the set-up process on the table with a dry erase marker. For example, once I get my part tramed, flat, and set my Z, I write that down on the table, then after I find my edges and move to my pick up corner I offset my wire in the correct direction and write that down, then I save my work position and write that down. I do this because people will come over and side-track me while I'm in the process of setting something up, and this way when go back to continuing the set-up process I know exactly where I'm at without second guessing myself. Hope this helps. Good Luck

Back