What's new
What's new

MV2400 new mahcine

Bradracer18

Aluminum
Looking at getting a Mits MV2400 wire edm, we currently run a Mits FX10k. I know the technology will be much different, but is there anything worth noting? We are going to purchase the MV2400, so as little down time as possible will be nice if anyone can help me out. Its my understanding that the machine is conversational and can be programmed at the machine.

We are going to switch from running .010 to .012. Hopefully this will be a good thing. We do a lot of rough cutting or rough cutting with 1-2 skims. We also do 3 skims too but maybe not quite as often.

I'm excited to get something where I can cut on it, shut it down and then come back the next day and start right up again. The previous machine didn't have a cooler, so stopping had to be planned in a certain place.

Going to dabble in the rails/fixturing world on this edm, so that will be new to me also. I hope we can find a way to make everything we cut work.

Looking at getting a Mits MV2400 wire edm, we currently run a Mits FX10k. I know the technology will be much different, but is there anything worth noting? We are going to purchase the MV2400, so as little down time as possible will be nice if anyone can help me out. Its my understanding that the machine is conversational and can be programmed at the machine.

We are going to switch from running .010 to .012. Hopefully this will be a good thing. We do a lot of rough cutting or rough cutting with 1-2 skims. We also do 3 skims too but maybe not quite as often.

I'm excited to get something where I can cut on it, shut it down and then come back the next day and start right up again. The previous machine didn't have a cooler, so stopping had to be planned in a certain place.

Going to dabble in the rails/fixturing world on this edm, so that will be new to me also. I hope we can find a way to make everything we cut work.

Bradracer
We have had experience with most of the series of Mits machines (G, H, H1, HA, RA, FX, FA, FA Advance and now have 2 FA10s, 2 FA20 Advance, 2 MV2400R, and 1 MV4800.

While the MV machine does have conversational programming, I wouldn't be expecting to use it for your primary source of programming. After playing with it for a day or so, we decided to just use our offline programming instead. You should probably expect to use the software that you have currently. The same program should run with a few minor changes. You can have Mits help you with a "swap" program. It has been a while since the FX machines but I don't think there is a lot of differences. Epaks and feedrates will be different for sure.

I would start out with the .010 wire to begin with unless you cut a lot of thick (4" and thicker) stuff. The machine comes with .010 guides.

The best thing you can do, in my opinion, is to learn how to do multiple workpiece setups in the machine. These machines have very reliable threaders and can run through the night with the "lights out". In the morning, pull the slugs and let it do the skims. Get ready to fill it up for the following afternoon and night. Program your pieces with this process in mind.

Depending on your workpiece size, rails and fixtures can make a real difference especially if you continually cut the same thing. We are a job shop. We generally don't cut more than one of a kind pieces. All that expensive fixturing doesn't help us that much.

We are also a job shop, 1-2 parts usually or maybe a handfull at a time. We are going to buy a rail system to start out, its made by ram precision tooling.

Does the MV series have the capability to "find" a part if you tell it approx. where it is? We locate a lot of parts with .250 or .500 reamed holes, if I were to "estimate" the center of 2-3 parts could my programming make the machine find each part when its ready to cut it?

We want to run lights out, it will be a new ball game. Currently we cant cut anything from day to day because without a chiller the machine moves too much. I'll have to change my programming mindset to doing all rough cuts then all the skims so we have a longer run time.

We are also a job shop, 1-2 parts usually or maybe a handfull at a time. We are going to buy a rail system to start out, its made by ram precision tooling.

Does the MV series have the capability to "find" a part if you tell it approx. where it is? We locate a lot of parts with .250 or .500 reamed holes, if I were to "estimate" the center of 2-3 parts could my programming make the machine find each part when its ready to cut it?

We want to run lights out, it will be a new ball game. Currently we cant cut anything from day to day because without a chiller the machine moves too much. I'll have to change my programming mindset to doing all rough cuts then all the skims so we have a longer run time.

You could probably program the machine to do a center find and "find" the part. I think an easier solution is to use a "MOVE" program. First, you would place each workpiece in the machine and indicate them ( or figure out their angle in the machine. Then center find the starting point of each and G54, G55, G56, G57, etc.. them. Use a move program to go to G54 and run program # 1 with an angle that was pre-measured. Then go to G55 and run program # 2 with the pre-measured angle and so on.....

I could pm you our "MOVE" program if needed or post it here.

What programming system do you have? You could use your current program while using a micro joint to hang onto the slugs. The more you can customize your post processor to your needs the better you will run parts overnight. Where are you located in the "central USA"? We could possibly show you a few tricks if you came to Michigan.

I would be interested in the "move" program as well.
To be honest, I am interested in the whole subprogram system.
If you could post or send me an example it would be greatly appreciated.
Thing is, I never got any training with the MV2400 and everything I know, I figured myself, but I only found mentions of using subprograms, but an actual example of some sort.
If it is not too much to ask I'd love to see a full program structure, that includes subprogram(s).
I only have a brief idea of how it works and an example would enlighten me. At least I hope. ahaha

Thanks a lot,
Mate

I would be interested in the "move" program as well.
To be honest, I am interested in the whole subprogram system.
If you could post or send me an example it would be greatly appreciated.
Thing is, I never got any training with the MV2400 and everything I know, I figured myself, but I only found mentions of using subprograms, but an actual example of some sort.
If it is not too much to ask I'd love to see a full program structure, that includes subprogram(s).
I only have a brief idea of how it works and an example would enlighten me. At least I hope. ahaha

Thanks a lot,
Mate

I do mine like this on the mits mv machines.

(the following will be program L100)

%
G53 G92 G90 x0y0
G00 G54 x0y0

G22 L(xxx <--program #you want to run)

M58
M121
M02
%

Keep in mind your program to run the part last line must be changed from M02 to G23.
From there you can copy & paste the exaple to add additional work points, but you always have to have the "G53 G92 X0Y0" and the "G00 G54,55,56 x0y0)

Thanks for all of the help, especially the program! We are currently using CamWorks. I haven't used anything else, but I don't consider it super Wire EDM friendly. I'm not near Michigan or I'd take you up on your offer, but thank you!

We had them trade out the .010 guides for .012. We quite often cut over 4", and will likely be cutting up to 11-12" occasionally too. I'd say a 7-9" cut will happen a few times a month. These are the type of cuts I'm excited to let run over night or the weekend. I'm hoping the machine can auto-shutdown.

We are looking into a software called something 360, can't remember for sure the name but it allows you to see the progress of the machining from your phone. It also sends emails/texts of errors, etc. Might be handy.

Thanks for all of the help, especially the program! We are currently using CamWorks. I haven't used anything else, but I don't consider it super Wire EDM friendly. I'm not near Michigan or I'd take you up on your offer, but thank you!

We had them trade out the .010 guides for .012. We quite often cut over 4", and will likely be cutting up to 11-12" occasionally too. I'd say a 7-9" cut will happen a few times a month. These are the type of cuts I'm excited to let run over night or the weekend. I'm hoping the machine can auto-shutdown.

We are looking into a software called something 360, can't remember for sure the name but it allows you to see the progress of the machining from your phone. It also sends emails/texts of errors, etc. Might be handy.

Bradracer
Not sure what you want in a "auto-shutdown". Obviously, it will stop at an M01 or M02 and wait for you to restart. This machine will easily run with the lights out.

We have 5 of our machines hooked up to the Remote360 system. I can watch the display of the machines on my laptop right now if I want. It works well for us. Have them include the service for a year or two in the purchase of the machine. You'll like it.

I still need to post our MOVE program.

Here is a screenshot attempt. It shows 4 die steels that are set up in the 4 corners of the machine. This has been running since 3:00 pm yesterday.
MitsScreen.jpg

Awesome I hope to take advantage of the remote360! Looks neat by your screen shot!

The autoshut down I was talking about, I was hoping like on a weekend if I had say only 5 hrs to cut after friday afternoon, that the machine would shutdown after this was cut, as to not run and burn electricity all weekend after the 5 hr cut. Not a big deal, but I forsee us cutting things that might cut from 4pm to midnight quite often, then the machine will set idle until 6am.

Awesome I hope to take advantage of the remote360! Looks neat by your screen shot!

The autoshut down I was talking about, I was hoping like on a weekend if I had say only 5 hrs to cut after friday afternoon, that the machine would shutdown after this was cut, as to not run and burn electricity all weekend after the 5 hr cut. Not a big deal, but I forsee us cutting things that might cut from 4pm to midnight quite often, then the machine will set idle until 6am.

Just so you know.. that software is not required to view the screen remotely. Our IT dept. has our BAs,FAs & MV's all hooked up. If you are cheap and have some networking experience I'm sure its not all that difficult...or maybe it is?

Once you have the MV2400 connected to your company network, you can see the screen remotely by going to the following address:

http://<ip_address>/index_e.html

Replace <ip_address> with the IP of your machine. I can't remember if this page allows you to control the machine, or if it's for viewing only.

I am not sure if there is a way to auto shutdown the machine, but I believe there may be some power save options in the maintenance maker screen (or even normal maintenance options).

Press "Maint" button, then hold control + shift and right click with mouse on "Machine Parameters", then click "Maintenance Maker". After that, peruse around the different menus to find anything power-save related. Going off the top of my head, so some of the buttons may be named differently.

DISCLAIMER: Be very careful around these menus, take care to not change anything you shouldn't be. Anything you change is your responsibility.

In my experience, weird things tend to happen when CNC machines are sent through regular power cycles. Things stop working, new error messages on bootup, I've seen it all. I think you would be better suited to find any kind of power save features that keep the control powered up, but shuts off other idle parts of the machine.

in my experience, weird things tend to happen when cnc machines are sent through regular power cycles. Things stop working, new error messages on bootup, i've seen it all. I think you would be better suited to find any kind of power save features that keep the control powered up, but shuts off other idle parts of the machine.

x2 ^^^^^^^^

Thanks for all of the help! We hope to learn more as we go, I'm sure questions will arise

Anyway I could get a sample program from someone? It could be as easy as cutting a hole. We have a post but not sure if its correct in the tings that need to be there aside from the X/Y moves.

Thanks for all of the help! We hope to learn more as we go, I'm sure questions will arise

Anyway I could get a sample program from someone? It could be as easy as cutting a hole. We have a post but not sure if its correct in the tings that need to be there aside from the X/Y moves.

Doesn't your machine come with some programs already in it? mine does.. its the same code as your other machines unless you need a m78 to fill the tank.

I was able to program at the machine a few simple programs and see how the code is generated. I think this will help with our post. So far so good with the machine, hope it works better and more efficient than our FX

Those of you with experience with the MV, how do I change a roll of wire in the middle of a program? I was cutting a hole yesterday and it ran out of wire, and alarmed "no wire". Put a new spool on, and threaded it back and back to cutting, however as far as the control goes I couldn't get it to add a new spool/bobbin while still running the program. Luckily I only had about a half hour left of time to cut, so I finished the cut and then when the program was finished I added the spool and the time was then calculated (but as an estimate instead of exact). Hope this makes sense...

Those of you with experience with the MV, how do I change a roll of wire in the middle of a program? I was cutting a hole yesterday and it ran out of wire, and alarmed "no wire". Put a new spool on, and threaded it back and back to cutting, however as far as the control goes I couldn't get it to add a new spool/bobbin while still running the program. Luckily I only had about a half hour left of time to cut, so I finished the cut and then when the program was finished I added the spool and the time was then calculated (but as an estimate instead of exact). Hope this makes sense...

The "time remaining" on the spool is never correct. I usually drop the wire speed to 1 or 2 when I change spools. Force the machine to break the wire, when it rapids back thread point I throw the new spool on.

So you don't go into the consumption tab and add a new spool each time? The Wire consumption time remaining (under like the maintenance screen) seems to be fairly accurate and based off of the weight of the spool input by the operator at time of new spool. Although we aren't using this yet, I'm assuming the $/hr is also calculated of each new spool being inserted. Anyways, just looking for how to reset this time remaining while still in the program/cut. It wasn't a problem having it run out of wire while in the kerf, it threaded right back very easily.

I go in the tab and reset each new spool. Its off by an hour or so for me on the regular. But I do a lot of roughing & skimming in the same nc file. You can see the "time remaining" change when it switches epacks.

I don't even use that feature.
If you pull a spool and replace it with an other one, when pressing the pre tension switch to turn pt back on there is the same dialogue box popping up like if you were going to the maintenance screen and pressing on 'wire type'.
Our work flow does not allow proper planning anyway, as 6-8 pieces count as a series for me, nor do I run huge molds overnight.
If I have to leave the machine unattended, I just 'eyeball' how much wire I would need and decide if I change the spool or not.
tl;dr
If you don't need to pay close attention on how much wire you have on the spool, don't worry about the maintenance screen. I even disabled the warning (there is a checkbox after wire consumption).

Back