What's new
What's new

Need Help with Mitsubishi DWC90HA Wire Contact Light always on

GEC-ENG

Plastic
I got help here but was not successful in resolve my issue. I thoroughly cleaned the entire path of the wire, top and bottom end. I'm sure those of you that are familiar can appreciate that. Although the Contact Light light remains on it wasn't a total waste as I found some parts to replace before failure. I disconnected the power feed cables from the power amps and the power feeds at the cutting zone. There are no shorts from upper and lower power feeds to the table of ground. I'm assuming no build up or fractured isolators on the physical hardware. However I believe I found some issues in the power-feed cables. Besides the issues I found I cannot for the life of me see how they even work. It appears as though every terminal on the amps is directly connected through the cable. I've included drawings of my results. I've read were they should be replaced periodically. My question is,
1. Do I need new cables and would this potentially solve my issue?
2. Is every terminal on the amps supposed to be connected together through the cables? I cannot fathom how that works yet it appears to be so as a result of my investigation.

pf1-page-001.jpgpf2.jpg

GEC-ENG,

Does the light go out when the wire is not run through the path?
If the light remains on with no wire, your issue is board related.
If the light is off with no wire, then I would check your "wire present" switches.
I know there are at least two... one before the upper head and one after the lower head.
They are suppose to have little ceramic sleeves on which the wire makes contact and hold the censor in the "wire present" position.
I have seen these sleeves wear grooves in them that allows the wire to make contact with the metal arm below causing a contact.
Also, I believe the pinch rollers are rubber coated.
They can also wear through and allow the wire to touch metallic/conductive surfaces.
I have also seen the wire collection boxes be a problem.
Chunks of wire coming out of the little trap door and touching the machine base.
Have also seen water in those collection boxes cause contact issues.
Empty the wire collection box COMPLETELY... Turn wire drive on and see if the light stays off for a minute.
If it comes back on...look at the box thoroughly and see if something is wonky.
That box is supposed to be fiberglass...perhaps you don't have the original?
Makes sure the box itself isn't coming in contact with the machine.
Lastly, I have also seen high water conductivity cause short circuit issues on that machine.
If your on screen is showing good conductivity (under 15), buy your self a handheld probe and calibration fluid ($120-ish) and confirm machine reading.
If readings don't jive, clean probe... if that doesn't work, replace cable and/or probe... That is a common fail on those machines.

Good luck,
Jay Crumb
Advanced EDM, LLC
jaycrumb@sbcglobal(dot)net
(I don't get on here very often anymore...feel free to email e directly.)

Had same problem with a Mits DWC110-HA. Small wires from control to machine were corroded & shorted. Had to replace entire harness from control to macnine.

GEC-ENG,

Did you ever get to the bottom of this problem? I am having the exact same issue. I have never ran this machine since I had it rigged in, so I am troubleshooting from scratch. My contact light will light up when I push the "wire on" button even if the EDM wire is removed completely... any help would be greatly appreciated.

Back