What's new
What's new

OKI EDM wire; what are your opinions?

implmex

Diamond
Hi All:
I just tried to run a spool of OKI wire on my machine and it was HORRIBLE!!!
It doesn't thread worth a crap, I couldn't even get it to go down the upper threading pipe without a fight, and trying to get it through the upper guide...just forget it.
It seems to have a nasty curl to it so it won't point into the wire guides.

This is 0.25 mm hard (I assume it's hard because it feels like hard but the label doesn't say so anywhere).

I got the spool as part of a lot that a customer of ours sold to us when they gave up their wire machine, so it's new old stock.

It's not the machine; I swapped it for a spool of Gisco Megacut and the Megacut threaded brilliantly

Have others of you had a similar experience or is this a rogue spool?
Fortunately it's the only one in the lot...I will likely have to turf it, cause I sure can't thread it!!

Cheers

Marcus
Implant Mechanix • Design & Innovation > HOME
www.vancouverwireedm.com

Hahahahahaha!

Cheers, Old Friend. I have seen a little bit of variance from lot to lot of OKI wire. I think the bottom line here is that you are trying to compare it to Gisco wire, and you cannot. There is not much of a comparison. Gisco is a dream compared to most. I love Gisco wire**. Makes life SO much nicer. But, given the choice, most customers would not want to pay for Gisco wire pricing. Let's face it - It's more than OKI wire and 3X+ than economy wire. People act like they're being anally assaulted when they hear of it.

HOWEVER, it threads like a dream, and cuts like one, too.

** - we've used CobraCut a fair amount, and a little MegaCut, too. ( some taper cutting and adverse condition cutting )

We run a lot of OKI wire and we have found that spools of wire left unused for over a year developed bad memory when compared to other brands of full hard brass wire. We also use Gisco and thermo compact. We have no trouble threading with new spools of OKI

Hi All:
I think JTB3 must have nailed it right on the button; this wire is at least 5 years old and is a funny colour from oxidation.
It sat on the machine that was eventually scrapped after being parked for God knows how long.
So into the scrapper it goes; at least I paid almost nothing for it.
Now we all know why the stuff is shrink wrapped!!

Speaking of wire brands; my GO TO wire is Excel Plus; it comes from Korea and has been excellent for me.
I buy it from Electrodes of Canada
It's about 75 bucks Canadian for a 6 Kg spool which seems to be a pretty good price.

I have no idea how much the Gisco Megacut costs; we got a super smokin' deal on it...5 cases of 52000 yards per case for under $500.00 CAD for the whole shebang.
Each spool weighs just under 11 Kg.
With that kind of deal on the overall package I have no right to cry about the single OKI spool, so I'm going to send it to the scrapper with a smile!!:D

Cheers

Marcus
Implant Mechanix • Design & Innovation > HOME
www.vancouverwireedm.com

Last edited:
Hi everyone, we had a rep drop off some Thermo Compact wire. We have been using the SD wire for years . It's great for one cut jobs or maybe rough and two trims. It will also create pretty bad Taper from extreme wire wear. We compensate by putting angle in the program driven from top of part height.
If used correctly the SD wire is great.
I'm more a fan of good quality hard brass and then coated brass. I like to see around 40 inches of wire come off a spool before it starts to curl. most our machines use a anneal and straighten AWT system.

Back