What's new
What's new

robofil 310 with esprit ( switching techs mid program)

Jordan83

Aluminum
is it possible to switch between different tech files during a program? Sometimes I think it would be nice to be able to switch between wire types mid program to lower cycle time, like when I go from a big taper into a straight cut and the cuts are long.

The problem is Charmilles tech files contain offset.
This will give you some issues.
Switching "wire types" will surely result in a different offset value.

I assume you are only looking to switch wire types as far as the tech file goes...Not actually physically switching the wire.
If you are only switching the wire type on the tech file, not sure what speed you are actually going to gain anyhow.
Feedback from the cut should be telling the machine that the cut is more stable in the non-tapered areas and should automatically pick up speed.
You can turn off the protection strategies in the straight walled areas.
That will pick up your speed.
You can also use a more aggressive setting throughout and increase your off-time in the tapered areas and decrease in the straight walled areas.

Please explain what you mean by "switching the wire type" a bit more.
Are you running soft brass and looking to lie to the machine in the non-tapered areas by saying you are using half-hard?
How big is your taper?
You can adjust almost all of your settings within the program on your rough cuts.
Might be better to do that to avoid the offset issue.
Just remember, adjusting things like your on-time and such will give you a different spark gap and could lead to dimensional error.

Jay Crumb

Thanks for responding Jay. I am talking about switching out the actual wire. For tapered cuts I use a half hard wire and for straight cuts I use a stratefied (Type X) wire. My tapers vary up to around 30 degrees. I can cut twice as fast with the stratefied. The parts that I would do this on arent very critical at all so Im not worried about the dimensions. I would like to put stops in the program at the places I would make the wire swap. Ive only been messing with edms for like 8 months so its not like Im a pro or anything. Just trying to reduce the cycle times. Thanks again

In that case, I would try and gang up a bunch of parts, write and run a program that did all of the taper, then write and run a program for all of the stratified wire/straight stuff.
You sound like a very creative person.
I hope your boss appreciates the extra effort you are willing to put in for cycle time's sake.

I would add on thing while on this subject.
The cost of stratified wire is usually only justified when the machine is at full capacity.
In other words, if stratified cuts twice as fast, the hourly operational cost is twice as much.
Using stratified wire makes sense when you don't have enough hours in the day.
It saves you the cost of buying another machine...
Make sense?
It may be a better plan to continue to use the half hard and focus on setting up/programming in a manner that allows you to run unattended 24/7.
When running 24/7 still doesn't get the work out fast enough....then switch to stratified.

Where are you at in Ohio?
I have a business that does EDM consulting, program and fixture design, ISO certification help, training, and machine repair...
All at a crazy fraction of going to the OEM.
Not sure if you have dealt with Charmilles on machine repair yet...but they are most definitely not cheap...
I am...
Especially given the fact that you are only a car ride away.

Call or email me directly if there is anything I can do to help.
I know Charmilles machines very well and am actually a poster child for Esprit...
Check this out...
ESPRIT Solutions in Industries (I am the bald guy on the second one down)
And here's this...
CAM Shortcuts Simplify Lights-Out Burns : Modern Machine Shop

Jay Crumb
Advanced EDM, LLC
jaycrumb@sbcglobal(dot)net
(440)567-five eight zero eight

Back