What's new
What's new

Settings for running Nickel wire in am AgieCharmilles CUT400

KilrB

Stainless
We have a new customer insisting that we leave no brass on their part.

They wanted us to use wire of the same material as their part ... Waspaloy!

This didn't pan out and they now want us to use nickel wire.

We've done a couple of test cuts so far but there are some problems.

AgieCharmilles has no tech settings for nickel wire.

In the first test cut, we had to max the B setting and turn FF way down to keep the Nickel wire from breaking constantly and it took forever to get through the rough cut. Skims were slow too, but it looked OK.

In the second test we roughed with brass and skimmed with the nickel wire, or tried to, it took way too long and it was UGLY.

Wire is .010"

Machine is an AgieCharmilles CUT400

Potential part is a Waspaloy turbine disc about 48" in diameter and 3.740" thick where we will be cutting it ... 62 blade roots at a 15.75 degree angle.

Tolerances are +/-.0005".

I don't want to do it, the shop supervisor doesn't want to do it, but it looks like we're going to be doing it anyway.

We're getting set for more test cuts now, do any of you have some insight that will help me on this?

Recast allowance in Fir Tree Profile?

We have a new customer insisting that we leave no brass on their part.

Potential part is a Waspaloy turbine disc about 48" in diameter and 3.740" thick where we will be cutting it ... 62 blade roots at a 15.75 degree angle.

Tolerances are +/-.0005".

I don't want to do it, the shop supervisor doesn't want to do it, but it looks like we're going to be doing it anyway.

We're getting set for more test cuts now, do any of you have some insight that will help me on this?

Customer wants you to use Waspaloy EDM wire instead of typical EDM wires (plain brass, zinc plated, etc) to avoid contamination? WTF?

Before you continue testing, find out RIGHT NOW the maximum allowable recast layer thickness the customer is going to permit on the part. If the customer replies by saying, "Recast? What is that? Never heard that term before." :confused: Stop everything immediately and RUN.:wall:

Back