What's new
What's new

sinker edm question?

ryone

Plastic
Lets see if I can explane this clearly.....
We are burning slots in the threads of small stainless steel screws. The electrode material is poco 3, and we use commonwelth 244 EDM oil. When the parts come off the machine, they go into an ultrasonic cleaner to make sure the threads are clean. It is as if the splatter/ particals are redepositing (sticking to the threads) on the part. Have any of you run into this, and is there something out there (product) that helps prevents this from happening? Any input would be greatly appreciated.
Ryone.

Maybe run submerged, lower amp, flush differently.
Did you try a stainless brush after to remove splatter?

oil is less than 5 months old, and still crystal clear.
running submerged.

good ideas........ keep em coming:)
will try lowering amps / voltage.

Ryone.

This an oldschool sinker? Try reversing the polarity if u can. What grade stainless? I'm gonna guess the bolts are are non magnetic? I would try low on times with mid level power and off times. I think the polarity could help. Seems to work wonders with alloys.

This an oldschool sinker? Try reversing the polarity if u can. What grade stainless? I'm gonna guess the bolts are are non magnetic? I would try low on times with mid level power and off times. I think the polarity could help. Seems to work wonders with alloys.

charmilles roboform 40

correct; non magnetic

I think reversing the polarity would cause excessive electrode wear but i'll give it a try.
thanks .

charmilles roboform 40

correct; non magnetic

I think reversing the polarity would cause excessive electrode wear but i'll give it a try.
thanks .

Your machine should be similar to our older Mits. I would definitly use - polarity, and a low low on time. Electrode wear was alwas never a problem with graphite.

How many parts do you have to burn?

If these are implantable medical devices you can't go copper...
Not even allowed to use copper impregnated graphite.

Sorry to say but you're going to have to turn the juice down and slow down the cut.
We ended up putting our slotted medical screws on the WEDM.

Back