What's new
What's new

Starting wire in a 30 degree hole. (mastercaml

Motorsports-X

Hot Rolled
Does anyone here know how to tell the machine to start at non-similar xy/uv points inside mastercam? (so that it shoots it out already in the code) I'm sure it's simple but I'm not seeing it... Just been editing the first few lines of code by hand.

Charmilles will allow you to start a program with the wire not straight(you will get a non-fatal error message though), but I always had to hand edit the code due to the same issue you are having with the CAD/CAM.
Not sure about the other OEMs will even let you start a program non-vertical.

My work-around was: Start the program with the wire vertical, then a rapid move to the angular position, then a STOP so I could manually thread the wire.

Kinda hard to run unattended though... Haven't seen a machine yet that will thread a 30 degree tapered hole.
Suppose there just isn't enough demand for the tech to be developed...
Anyone else ever need to thread angled start holes?
Probably already solved via turn and burn set-ups??

Jay Crumb
Advanced EDM, LLC

I used to put false geometry on the cad file and dry run to the thread point. Manually thread the wire and run it from there. Esprit has a angle thread feature. Put a tool path on click the lower start point then upper start point. The post processer pits a rapid to the lower start point, angles the wire and stops for manual thead. Greatest feature ever. What took 15 minutes to program now takes 2 clicks of aouse.

Well there you have it...The fix is to run Esprit...lol...
Esprit is without a doubt the best thing to ever happen for WEDM programming.
Leader by far...

Jay Crumb
Advanced EDM, LLC

Ive heard it is great for wire... Were already in deep with mastercam and it works well Enough that another package isn't viable.

Thanks for the tips.

That's a guide offset of .350"... That's pretty good!
Do the guides actually pivot on the angle?

Jay Crumb
Advanced EDM, LLC

On any of the AC machines from Agie starting from 1984 to 2002 the upper and lower heads were linked and pivoted so the guides always faced each other. It could thread on a 30 degree angle

I am guessing they stopped doing that due to the expense of a crash... Ouchy...

Would accuracy of EDM'd angles be better or worse with that set-up as compared to others?
X and Y axis are usually on glass scales or better.
I would think that set-up to just be a step in a motor???... How fine could it be???

Jay Crumb
Advanced EDM, LLC

Are you saying the machine will thread on its on at 30 degrees, or has the capability to be programmed to stop to be manually threaded. We were just talking about this today!

I had a mid-90's Agie 170HSS, and regularly threaded at an angle. The machine was absolutely dead-on accurate when cutting tapered parts. The all-mechanical parallelogram arrangement is delicate and requires consistent PM for best/consistent results, but what a machine...

PM

(photo added of head tipped in V for angled threading on this job)

tip_v.jpg

...and not just the heads!!!... Look at the bottom of the work-tank!!! It's white!!!
I'm guessing this service/support guy will never step foot in Mr. precisionmetal's shop for a WEDM PM.

But seriously... are you doing any serious cuts on that machine?
I just can't believe a guy cutting 4" thick S.S. 16 hours a day can keep a machine that pristine.
I'm guessing a lot or .002" diameter wire through.075" thick medical grade stainless .
Am I right?

Amazing up-keep regardless...

Jay Crumb
Advanced EDM, LLC

Well, I don't own that machine any more. Closed up my shop in 2011 and went to work for Apple Inc. Had a new Agie there, but honestly would have preferred the 170HSS instead.

And yes, I used .010" wire a lot and cut large pieces on the 170, though admittedly I preferred doing jobs that required .004" or .0028". I was just fairly obsessive about keeping the machine (the entire room) really clean.

I miss that machine and the tilting heads! ... <sigh>

Attachments

• tidy.jpg
    tidy.jpg
    85.4 KB · Views: 94
I have always considered the AGIECUTX50HSS the best all around machine made at the time and its still a pretty damn good machine now.

Back