What's new
What's new

TIPPING DIE help sinker EDM SODICK LN1 AQ35L

DEF82

Plastic
Greetings all,
I have been tasked with burning a tipping die into steel with a copper electrode. The hole is .215 deep and the electrode tapers from .01" diameter to .029" diameter. I am hoping someone has a older Sodick like the one I am using can answer some questions regarding the built in "LN Assist" programming tool. Its basically a conversational programmer you input into and it spits out the code to run the burn. I specifically need to know if I should be using the Loran function and which kind. Should I turn it off or switch from circle to cylinder? Also there is this booklet of cutting conditions for different types of electrodes and materials. What is frustrating to me is how different the cutting conditions in the booklet are compared to what LN assist spits out. The manuals are absolutely terrible with no detailed explanations of anything. My finish is coming out way rougher than I need. The ATC (auto tool changer) is not working so I am burning this part in three passes with fresh trodes each time. Cant get anywhere near a mirror finish. I see other companies burning complex and super tiny tipping dies but I am guessing they have modern small hole machines and high end sinker machines. Do I have any hope? Another thing is that my copper 'trode is mounted to an aluminum cylinder which is attached to the tool holder coin. So I have voltage going thru aluminum and then into copper. Will this affect my burn? My supervisor does not think it will but I am suspicious of that. I know this is a long rant but any advice would be appreciated. The machine is a Sodick AQ35L with a LN1 controller.
Thanks
-DEF82:nutter:

Greetings all,
I have been tasked with burning a tipping die into steel with a copper electrode. The hole is .215 deep and the electrode tapers from .01" diameter to .029" diameter. I am hoping someone has a older Sodick like the one I am using can answer some questions regarding the built in "LN Assist" programming tool. Its basically a conversational programmer you input into and it spits out the code to run the burn. I specifically need to know if I should be using the Loran function and which kind. Should I turn it off or switch from circle to cylinder? Also there is this booklet of cutting conditions for different types of electrodes and materials. What is frustrating to me is how different the cutting conditions in the booklet are compared to what LN assist spits out. The manuals are absolutely terrible with no detailed explanations of anything. My finish is coming out way rougher than I need. The ATC (auto tool changer) is not working so I am burning this part in three passes with fresh trodes each time. Cant get anywhere near a mirror finish. I see other companies burning complex and super tiny tipping dies but I am guessing they have modern small hole machines and high end sinker machines. Do I have any hope? Another thing is that my copper 'trode is mounted to an aluminum cylinder which is attached to the tool holder coin. So I have voltage going thru aluminum and then into copper. Will this affect my burn? My supervisor does not think it will but I am suspicious of that. I know this is a long rant but any advice would be appreciated. The machine is a Sodick AQ35L with a LN1 controller.
Thanks
-DEF82:nutter:

I run 2 aq35l’s every day in a tool and die shop. First of all you’ll never get a mirror finish, ever. The best is a 6rms. Use ln assist to make your program I wouldn’t use cylinder orbit, use circle orbit. The settings will not match what’s in the horrible manuals it came with. Every time the machine is updated the settings are changed. Your best bet for a decent manual is to call Sodick and see if they will send you a training manual, they are very good, and will have what the new settings are. If you have anymore questions I’d be happy to help.

Back