What's new
What's new

Water conductivity puzzle

norb

Cast Iron
I have three resin tanks. When two are spent, I hook up the third tank and take the other two to be regenerated. I normally run my water conductivity at 15 microsiemens. My conductivity was running about 18 so I hooked up the third tank.As soon as i turned the machine on with the fresh tank the conductivity started rising. When it reached 70 microsiemens (only a few minutes after hooking up new tank)I shut the machine down.I hooked the old spent tank back up and it brought it down so I could finish the job (took about an hour, like I said the tank was spent). I could understand if they gave me a spent tank by mistake that it would not lower the water conductivity but I don't know why it would spike it so high. Can anybody theorize what happened here?

Last edited:
Sounds like they didn't regen the mixed bed resin correctly. My guess is they didn't get the acid or caustic regenerant solution used to regen the cation and anion resin respectively rinsed out properly. Probably a PH indicator could tell you which one, for proof, but it doesn't mater there is no saving it because on side of the mixed bed is likely completely fouled and needs to be regened again.

If you don't want to spell siemens correctly, you may want to consider the old-fashioned non-SI unit, the "mho".

:) Jon P.

Sounds like they didn't regen the mixed bed resin correctly. My guess is they didn't get the acid or caustic regenerant solution used to regen the cation and anion resin respectively rinsed out properly. Probably a PH indicator could tell you which one, for proof, but it doesn't mater there is no saving it because on side of the mixed bed is likely completely fouled and needs to be regened again.

Thanks for your reply, makes sense.

Oh man, you must have hooked it up backwards!

All kidding aside, if one were to do that, most likely what would happen is you would flood your fluid tank with DI resin beads, which would in turn clog up all of your solenoids, and valves, and thread jet orifices, etc, etc, etc.

Of course, I know everyone here runs a screen filter on their return hose, RIGHT????

All kidding aside, if one were to do that, most likely what would happen is you would flood your fluid tank with DI resin beads, which would in turn clog up all of your solenoids, and valves, and thread jet orifices, etc, etc, etc.

Of course, I know everyone here runs a screen filter on their return hose, RIGHT????

You bet I do, one lesson I didn't have to learn the hard way.

Back