What's new
What's new

wire edm deep hole

Butch Lambert

Titanium
Is it possible to wire edm a 28" hole in a rifle blank? The hole size would be .2370 for instance, round within .0001, size held within .0002 end to end with a polished finish. Am I smoking something I shouldn't or is it possible. I know nothing about edm. I would predrill a hole of any size through the material. Thebarrelman

Thats a really long way, i dont know much about barrels but you really require .0002?

Im not going to say it cant be done, because anything is possible. But i hope youve got bags of money and its either burn it (the money) or wire cut that form...

Not much help i realize but just thought id give my .02...

Butch,

I don't even know of any wires that can take a 28" part, much less keep it straight.
our Charmilles 6020SI at work has a max capacity of about 13", and it takes a bit of work to make it come out. we would usually have to burn a setup part first, and adjust Aj setting for the amount of convexity or concavity in the part.

hope it helps

Thats a pretty tall order(no pun intended), I've cut 6" on our AGIE machines and could hold .0002/.0003, with some tweaking. There is a shop in California, "Wire Cut Co. Inc." they do tall workpieces, but from my notes they cannnot hold more than .002" in 48". I could be wrong, my information is about 3 years old.

Space is right on. Think about it. You're cutting with a brass wire under tension. Holding everything within even .002" through 20+ inches thick would be very difficult if not impossible to do.

What would even be more difficult would be someone willing to try it for you.Unless you want to spend gobs of money or have mass quantities of these barrels to do,it wouldn't be too feasable.

Now,I suppose,you could take what you get off the wire and hone it to your tolerances. Doesn't sound like fun to me.

But it is fun to dream while you're smoking something,right?

I'm sorry for not sending a reply sooner. Just got a new computor and for some reason lost this website and forum. The present manufacturing process-deephole drilling and reaming will hold these tolerances. It would be nice to find a way to make a straighter hole and to have a finish better than a reamed finish. Thebarrelman

Back