What's new
What's new

Wire EDM Inconel 625

RJT

Titanium
Being asked to quote wire EDMing a spline through a 243mm (9.567") tall piece. Looks like I have about .002 tolerance on the CAD geometry supplied (about 41mm diameter over 3.5mm pins H9 tolerance) . No gages are being supplied, only the mating shaft as a functional go gage. We have a Mitz FA20 and will use .012 wire, 5 pass technology. If it was hardened tool steel, I wouldn't hesitate, but I've never cut Inconel. Should I be wary of it? I plan on talking to Mitz applications as well.

Do you have any preconceived concerns???

We cut Inco 718 all day everyday with .010 wire and 22-28 degree taper. The pieces are only 1" tall though. I know on some bigger pieces I have done the only thing I've really had to worry about is the material closing in on itself which makes it a real PITA if/when the wire breaks.

It sounds as if you're cutting an internal, but you say "over" 3.5mm pins?

If it's an internal, how much larger is the stock or part that you're cutting this through?

PM

As mentioned, you should not be worried about Inco at all.
If you treat it like steel, you will be pleasantly surprised as it is about as consistent structure as any material you'll ever find.

However, also as mentioned, if you have an open profile, do expect the material closing in on itself.
With your height, expect it to close enough that you will need a press to get the slug out.
If however it's just a closed profile, you will be fine as long as you plan the cut so the stress goes into the "slug"
Hitting tolerance also won't be a problem and the surface finish will also be nice.

not sure if you are planning on using adaptive control or not, in this case i would not. I would also run a modified epack 1271 (my go to for 17-4 and harder metals), i tend to change the wire speed to 10 or 12, and put the bottom flush up to 10, i change the voltage (Va i think) to 80 or higher to match the cutting voltages. I would most likely run less than .01 ipm with that thickness just to keep the chance of wire breakage down, if it pinches in thats gonna be a bastard of a rethread. for finish you can drop to a 1273 epack, which is really meant for 10 wire but it has a softer spark and leaves a great finish.

in the grand scheme of things contacting mits is going to be your best bet, as they can probably point you to an epack or custom make one for the application.

Yes its an internal spline, I will have about a 20 mm wall, its a round part on the OD. Should have said between pins, not over pins. I may break this into two 180 degree slugs to get away from any wire pinching.

Back