What's new
What's new

Wiring tips/tricks using .004 diameter wire

Nc_coder

Plastic
I have an upcoming wiring job which is circular serrated profile and the customer wants the smallest radius possible in the peaks and valleys. I tried using .008 wire but the customer wants a smaller radius yet so this time I am going with .004 wire. I've never used wire this small before and I am looking for some experienced advice.

1) Would this be the proper technique for wiring this profile? Rough out the stock using my .008 wire leaving like .005 stock on the walls then going in with the .004 wire with roughing/finishing passes?

2)Is auto threading feasible with this diameter wire? If not any tricks to manually wiring it up?

3)Do I have to lower the air pressure on the wire feed rollers?

I am using a 2017 Mits MV wire machine.

Thanks!

We just cut some small 1/2 " thick punches with .004 wire on new Mits .
We used hard brass but I like coated or steel core .004 wire the best. The machine threaded and ran .004 pretty well I guess. There was accuracy tecs and DFS tecs.
We have wire chopper on our machine and that had to be swung out of the way and the air pressure was lowered on pinch rollers.
I was sealed off and had optimal cutting conditions and did have a few wire breaks.
I lower the IP and raise the SB .
As far as the technique you described to rough with .008 and leave .005 stock to come back and trim with .004 wire will work well. And only thing I would suggest is to adjust the rough pass EPAK on the .004 wire trim set up. I would lower flush to 1/2 of what it's set @ and also bump up the SB and watch the actually feed rate and adjust parameters to get somewhat close to what it is set to . This has worked for us so I hope it helps.

Thanks for the advice!I am programming the wire path using Espirit. When I change the spool it will ask me what the wire size is since I am not programming using the machines interface is this setting irrelevant?

JTB3's advice is spot on. As for your programming, you will need to look up the parameter and adjust it by manually inserting an E8xx modifier, typically just after the Epack callout.

Thanks for the advice!I am programming the wire path using Espirit. When I change the spool it will ask me what the wire size is since I am not programming using the machines interface is this setting irrelevant?

I use Esprit to program as well and I do make sure to change the wire table to .004 and I always do wire alignment and taper Z. I always use the control to set wire kick and I set my Z1 and Z5 accordingly. I do check wire tension on smaller wire sizes and make sure they are jiving up with EPAKS being used.
I actually rough a lot of jobs out with larger wire then come back and trim with smaller wire very often. its easier on some machines then others! not sure how you are planning on trimming procedure but if you are roughing out with .008 leaving stock I wouldn't push the machine to hard or it will produce sloppy geometry that the first rough pass on the .004 trim may not be able to true up. it seems to me that smaller wire will almost "suck" to geometry and doesn't have the power to true up. I always use or CREATE some kind of reference point to pick up to and I will pick up as many points as need to make sure I am back in location within .0001 for the work I am doing. if taking the part off the machine to finish off with .004 @ later date then you just need to set those points straight and pick up for XY and you should be good! i prefer to let the machine pick up my points to set straight using Axis rotation on the mits.
hope this helps out and good luck with this part!

Back