What's new
What's new

Arc Lead burning?

chuckey

Stainless
To join bits of lead for roof flashings it is traditional to use oxy acetalyne. This is done with the smallest flame possible- white hot cone 2mm long, the theory being that the lead melts, but due to the limited heat input, it solidifies imediately. Has any one seen this done with arc equipment?. Using butane/propane, the flame is too large so an large area is at just about melting temperature, while trying to butt join, an area 2" wide each side of the joint is about to melt and drop out. I was thinking that with HF and a current of couple of amps, arc could be a way to go. Any comments please.
Frank

i have oftern done it with a propane soldering iron, basicaly a propane tourch heating a lump of copper all in one nice assembled lump. its triky getting the bit hot but not to hot and needs a bit of a feel - practice. the hard bits lighting the torch on the roof in the wind! i now have a 80 watt electric iron but i have not had any to do to find out if its up to it yet. personaly i would pass on arc on lead either stick or tig, even oxy acet makes me nervous about the amount of lead i would vaporise and inhail. solder - flux selection is a intresting bunch of trade offs too. wilst i know people that recoment welding ie just adding lead adding solders a lot easyer in my book.

Just be careful when using gas as a heat source, get the lead too hot and it will explode, usually over you...hot!

Mark

I have heard that TIG can be used to join any metal, EXCEPT Lead and Zinc.

Liquid Zinc has a vapor pressure higher than atmospheric, so it boils when liquified...

Lead on the other hand...shouldnt boil when liquified...however its thermal conductivity is very low..and with a low melting temperature..and high energy density found in the arc....it will go splat!!!

if u do try...do it outside!

nK

Hi guys, just my 2 cents as this is up my alle.

First of all, using anythng other than lead as a filler rod ain't lead burning/ welding, it's soldering and the two metals have differing rates of thermal expansion life expectancy is nowhere near autogenous welding.

As to electic, I really can't see it, I think the arc would be too hot, as accurate heat contol is vital for leadburning, gas shielded arc TIG? outside?....... no thanks, the slightest puff of wind will disperse that gas shield.

Gas mixes other than OA are usable at best, and nowhere near controlable, Sievert do a small propane burner for jewellery / lead welding but it's only for the flat and man it is slow. Oh yeah, good cleaning and scrapings needed for OA burning, air Propane has to be even better.

I've used O- Propane, admittedly on an OA torch/ nozzle (as far as I know they don't make them for O Pro) but flame control isn't easy, niether is getting the exact neutral flame needed to get that lovely bright ''onion'' to feed in to and that shows a clean true weld.

Take care. Sami.

Back