What's new
What's new

1987 Amada RG 25. Seeking info for newbie.

rbmgf7

Aluminum
Hello everyone. I just registered and I also just purchased an older Amada press brake. Full disclosure, I'm a startup shop with CAD/CAM and CNC Plasma cutting along with welding and other light fabrication equipment. I've wanted to purchase a press brake for a while now because I figure it would expand my ability to design and fabricate. I've already ran into numerous instances where a press brake would've made the design and fabrication process easier.

I came a across what I believe to be a great deal for a working Amada so I pulled the trigger. The brake works (manual stroke adjustment) but the current NC backgauge doesn't. The backgauge doesn't bother me since I have CNC experience and I would like to take on the challenge of upgrading the controls and components. If all else fails, there is a shop down the road (MachMotion) that updates outdated NC's with modern components, controls, and software.

I have no press brake experience aside from watching people at shops and watching YT videos. There's no tooling but I'll steadily make purchases as the job requires.

I also want to know if there's any literature out there for these brakes? I can't seem to find much. I've contacted an Amada sales rep to see if he can help but figure I could reach out in the meantime, especially since this machine is 30 years old. I would hope I can talk to someone who has operated one of these things "back in the day", lol. Wondering what preventative maintenance measures I need to take? Unsure how many strokes/hours are on the machine since it was purchased at a machine resale place.

I also wanted an Amada because I hear great things about them and most of the job shops I visit have nothing but Amada equipment. The machine I purchased doesn't look abused and seems very well taken care of. Anyone know how these machines hydraulics are controlled? Can't seem to find many pics "under the hood".

Any and all help would be appreciated!

Back