What's new
What's new

HF problem with miller econotig 100

anchorman

Titanium
I am having a problem with the HF not coming on with the miller econotig 100 that I use at work. after working nicely for quite a while it seems to have just quit. I can still weld with it if I touch start, but that makes a mess of the tunsgsten and the weld if I have to do many starts and stops. also this is just bad, IMO, to keep using half working equipment instead of reparing.

any Idea where the problem might be? I read on another thread about the spark gaps getting dirt in them on another thread. do these little machines have a spark gap? It is not obvious from the schematic that I looked at what type of HF unit is used, and where it is located in the machine.

thanks,

jon

Ahhh... The econotig. What a joke. Anyway...

This machine has a HF unit inlike any other machine I have seen. Yes, it does have a spark gap of some sort. it is built into the transformer. As far as I can tell on these machine the main board sends out a high freq pulsed current out to the transformer assy. There is it stepped up to a high voltage.

My best guess is the main board is shot. but it may be as simple as a bad solder joint when thing heat up. I think the board is about $450

Yeah,

wasn't my choice of machine. is what it is. for lightweight stainless it was working pretty well.

thanks for the tip. I'll have a look around in there to see what's what. maybe it will be something obvious.

Back