What's new
What's new

MIG WELDER Diagnosed with problem controlling voltage and wire feed motor Icky'

sapwood

Aluminum
Got a murex autolynx 160mk2 and it isn't welding right. at first thought it may be capacitors, of which it has two big 250000 oil filled electrolytics. well ive actually tested the caps tonight and with multimeter set to 2000 ohms the caps, both of them respond like I was advised they would if they were good caps. after discharging them from taking them out. with the meter probes on they slowly ramp up and keep going, if I switch the leads it does the same but ramps back down.
I have found out something from the seller of this Murex mig today that he had the machine looked at before giving me it (could have told me earlier) and the engineer told him its got problems controlling voltage CV and the wire feed motor isnt working right. But the motor sounds fine to me and pushes wire fine. ramps up its speed if I turn the dial and vice versa? Also didn't understqand how he stated it had problem controlling voltage. I have the rated and proper voltages measured at the tip from my meter. I thought it amps that the wire feed side controlled and this also being where a mig gets its heat/penetration from was the machines ability to control the amps relative to the arc length it monitors and the wire feed setting.
Some to summerise my two caps are fine and im now looking within the wire feed and also towards measuring the machines amperage delivery at the tip when welding....
CAN ANYONE ADVISE OR ADD TOT HIS WHO HAS MORE EXPERIENCE......

on migs smooth perfect wire feed is everything, have you got a new torch liner and new tip? Nice new clean wire, and decent wire not cheap crap? Has the wire feed tube path all been cleaned out as they collect crud and cuase issues, same for the groves in the feed rollers, its not uncommon they wear and wire slips. All the little things matter ever more on smaller lower powered mig work too. Good gas too not cheap pub CO2, again little things make life better and what works fine at higher power levels causes lots of agro at lower wire feed and amperage.

Then you have all the connections, low voltage high amperage, they all need to be clean and tight. Diodes probably want checking too, not sure what that welder has diode wise, hence hard to make solid recommendations, but it want's checking!

its not welding properly budd... those basics are the lest of my worries. The guy I got it from had a welder repair place look at aton they wrote on the sheet. "Problem controlling voltage CV, wire feedmotor not workin properly" But the wire feed motor sounded ok to me.
itsmeasurin all te right DC voltages at the tip without load (i.e when not welding)
/I check both 250000mf caps and they are ok wit a bsic multimeter test. but I really need a proper caps tester nd also a ood ac/dc amp clamp meter to check the current at the tip also.
Once ive got a better range of numbers I will go from there.
I thought the diodes are either OK or Shot? I didn't tink they faded, I was learnt that it was eiter all or nothing with those? are you sayin they could be the reson its not creaatin current to met the weld enough.

Back