What's new
What's new

Cheap Chinese Plasma Cutters

erickendall

Plastic
Hello There, just wondering if anyone has had any experience with any any of the many Chinese cnc Plasma cutters. Some seem extremely cheap (around the $6000.00 mark) with table sizes of 4 ft by 8 ft. Some of the more expensive ones (10k to 20K) use Hypertherm cutting units.
Any comments much appreciated.

I thought we don't discuss cheap Chinese junk here???

I wish I could agree but I think it's Cheap Chinese Home Hobby stuff. I'm not sure this qualifies. To me cheap Chinese is cheap Chinese but 4'x 8' table models are not your average home garage models.

Walter A.

Here is a link to one. CNC plasma machine,plasma cutting machine-JX-1325CP-CNC Plasma machine-cnc router,CNC Plasma,cnc wood router,metal plasma,cnc plasma cutting machine,cnc plasma engraving and cutting machine,stone carving machine,laser engraving and cutting machine,cn
They quoted me US$5525.00 plus shipping from Qingdao port.
Where does it state that we don't discuss cheap Chinese Plasma Cutters?
We can't keep our heads in the sand forever. A lot of these Chinese companies have ISO compliance with huge monthly production levels. What's happening now in China is a mirror image of what happened in Japan some 30 years ago. (I'm old enough to remember early Japanese products). Crap to start out with, but look at the reputation that Japan has now for machine and hand tools.
I'm in Australia and I'm really tempted to purchase this unit for evaluation. A lot of these companies are even prepared to white label their products to the customers specifications.
I was talking to our local rep for PlasmaCAM here in Victoria, and he is selling their 4' square table (without the plasma cutter) for AUS$16,000.00.

I'm not sure about the exchange rate....but if you are comparing a Chinese machine in US dollars to a PlasmaCam machine in AUS dollars.....probably not apples to apples!

The PlasmaCam DHC2 4 x 4 machine is under $10k in the US.....it comes with a full function torch height control (with ohmic plate sensing like the big industrial machines) and full CAD /Cam software. Add a $50 pentium computer (with a parallel port) and a plasma and you are ready to go.

The link you have posted shows a lot of different machines.....none of which I would expect to be priced in the range you mention. I have seen a few of the Chinese machines in action....and have used the Steel Tailor (small) machine. It is inexpensive, seems to cut ok....but the software is hard for me to figure out, the torch height control did not work well, and I would consider it a machine for one -off parts.

I'm sure there are dozens of different machines coming out of China.....none of them have yet had success on the US market....our TorchMate, PlasmaCam, Precision Plasma and other entry level machines all are priced right, have great capability and features, and the instructions are in English!

Jim

Thanks for the feedback. The PlasmaCAM in US dollars is $14,830.00 over here. That is of the exchange rate today. The Chinese model I was referring to for US$ 5525.00 (FOB Qingdoa) is the JX 1325 CP.Yes I know, it just sounds so cheap, and I can get a 3% - 5% discount if I become an agent. The unit weighs around 500Kgs, so given the table size, it's no lightweight flimsy machine. Very tempting.

I don't know about the plasma units in particular, but I have read some experiences from people buying very inexpensive CNC laser cutters. The short condensed version is that they do function, although an initial (!) refurbishedment seemed to be a good idea. The big issue though was safety, reliability and maintainance - the design wasn't really made with such things in mind.

That said you get what you pay for. If you spend some more you just might get something proper from China.

If you do buy from China you should make certain that you're actually buying direct from the manufacturer. More often than not there will be plenty of agents posing as the real manufacturer - usually with a slightly different color scheme or whatever. (Ask for customized feature or anything that require true knowledge to answer).

As a hobby project some inexpensive China product might be fine, although possibly dangerous. But for earning money the extra outlay for a western product (or better Chinese) is likely worth the difference. And if you have employees you certainly don't want the potential safety grief. (Yes, I know; CE marked... In China that logo basically just means "China Engineering").

Last edited:
Does the chinese ones come with software? Good software makes a difference

I have bought chinese machines, but only from US distributers. Couple of things. For one they tend to have NO documentation. If there is any markings on the electricals they will be chinese gum labels. Second, the chinese are really behind the curve on electricals. Not so much the components but the workmanship. Bad crimps, bad solder joints, loose screws, etc.

I would honestly consider importing one of these machines. Even as a core. Just use the welded table, slats, etc and put on new drives and electrics. It would be hard to build your own for that money. But I dont want to send a check to some guy on the other side of the world with a culture that would consider screwing me a victimless crime. Plus how much is shipping, customs? Etc.

Thanks again for the feedback.
Mebfab: Yes they tell me the machines are equipped with appropriate software including nesting, but who knows?? They sent me a copy of the manual for what it was worth. Very, very basic. Thirteen pages in total. You are right. There is virtually no documentation, but still, for the price I can accept that.
Like you mentioned, I'd be prepared to scrap the motors, drivers and controller if need be and retro fit something of a more standard nature. I'd probably still have a machine for under $10K. Maybe $12K. Not sure on freight, but would imagine around $1.5K total with customs and door to door.
Forgot to mention earlier, this unit also doubles as a router.
BadBeta: What makes you think the machine would come from Hong Kong? I couldn't find anything to suggest that. Could you send me a link please.
Yes I've come across agents in the past posing as manufacturers. These people seem to be the manufacturers seeing they are prepared to white label (but who knows??). I'm fairly confident about purchasing through this company. I think from memory they are gold suppliers listed on Alibaba.

Hi Eric,

Try iehk.net. They are supposed to have some manufacturing, but whether or not that includes the plasma is another matter. They might just be posing for that.

There is also a lot of manufacture of all things XY table related in Wuhan city, and they are supposed to be a notch up on the quality. (Not entirely unlikely as Wuhan is a technical and scientific centre).

Then you have the city of Jinan which also have companies making such products, but at the low end. (This city might very well use Qingdao for shipping). And there are likely lots of others around too.

Alibaba sell advertisments, they are very unlikely to endorse or check quality. And plenty of agents there too.

I wouldn't worry too much about sending money though as the chinese are very good at exporting... If you pay they'll send you the machine - what you get is another matter, and you'll be on your own with that. (Do suggest that you might become an agent - if nothing else they are more likely to double check the machine before shipping it off).

Good luck - you might get lucky! Let us know how it turns out with pictures and everything.

That's great information BadBeta. You obviously know what you are talking about.
I'll follow up on your info and let you know the outcomes.
Thanks again.

Disclaimer:

I have no first hand experience with China plasma tables. It is all based on hearsay I picked up about a year ago when I was thinking about trying one just for the heck of it. Didn't do it though - for some more cash one can pick up a truly great used industrial machine for a better deal overall.

As for the more general stuff it is based on my experiences and discussions with China, Chinese businessmen and westerners doing business i China. (China is actually way too varied and complicated to draw any general conclusions about anyway - the differences between regions are substantial).

Either way, please buy one and report! Take one for the team. :D

I sent that link to a friend of mine in Jinan. He does not know the company but figures it is a trading company, not factory. I import and sell hand held plasmas from China and have had really good luck with them so far. People that buy them almost all say they are work as well as the more expensive Lincolns and Millers. However, I would very strongly suggest you see this machine before you buy it. A trip to China is cheap compared to getting a machine that is no good.
Bob

.... A trip to China is cheap compared to getting a machine that is no good.
Bob

This is where a North American based sales outlet and showroom would do the most good for them. I have several Chinese friends who visit China several times a year but for the average business owner making the contacts and arrangements could be confusing.

As a rule people prefer to work with someone local and will overlook the country of origin if they can at least buy from a local dealer. How many people would buy a Toyota or Honda if they had to travel to Japan to see one in a showroom. (I know many are now made in the USA but it wasn't always that way)

Personally, I hope their costs continue to rise, logistics remain difficult and they are forced to bring manufacturing over here or see North American sales drop. We need more North American manufacturing not less.

Walter A.

Thanks again BadBeta. I may just bite the proverbial bullet and kiss my 6 plus K in hope.
Bob:- Thanks for the comments. I just emailed the company saying that either myself or a colleague would be in their area over the next few weeks and that a factory tour and product inspection can be arranged. It will be interesting to get their feedback. I'll let you know the outcome.
Walter A: There is no way that I can see this happening in the short term. I see China as an emerging power house ecomomy. But I'm no expert of course.

Back