What's new
What's new

Airco= Miller? But Which Miller

dfw5914

Stainless
I just bought this old Airco welder/generator model 2.25A/DDG-AMEL-A. It is powered by an Onan CCK-MS/736F (I was told 20HP, which I strongly doubt) two cylinder.

Inside the side cover it says Miller Gold Star, so I believe this was sourced from Miller (did Airco buy all their stuff from Miller?). I am trying to find out if there was an identical model sold by Miller, in hopes of getting a operators manual for it.
The closest I've found was an older Miller AEAD, the chassis looked almost identical but the front panel was quite a bit different.

On Edit: An AEA-200L is also very similar. Again, with a different front panel.

Anyone recognize this welder?

Sep2010121a.jpg

Sep2010118a.jpg

Sep2010128a.jpg

Sep2010129a.jpg

Last edited:
My dad had a miller like that one in the 70s. same engine for sure, 18 or 20hp. I don't remember the model number. As I remember the cabinet and fuel tank look the same. It welded great though.

Thanks m. m., it sure has a '60's look to it. All Bakelite and woven fiberglass, even the decals take me back.
I haven't welded with it yet as I'm not 100% positive on correct set-up, and I don't want to be the guy who kills a classic survivor.

Looks similar to the Miller AEAD-200 series. Check out the manuals at Miller.

Spot on USMCPOP, just minutes ago I received a very nice email from Barb at the Miller Literature Dept. According to Barb, my Airco is equivalent to a Miller AEAD-200LE.
She even sent me a PDF copy of the operators manual and a parts list.

FREE-OF-CHARGE!

Now that's darned impressive customer service!:)

Beats blue porch paint, LOL.

That's funny, I also have an Airco HeliWelder TIG machine (it's just an orange Miller 330 A/BP) that has literally been slatherd with blue porch paint.
The guy I bought it from said the machine was originally in a weld shop at Bell Helicopter among a group of similar Miller machines.
No one would use it because it was orange.:nutter:
...so they painted it blue.:rolleyes5:

Back