What's new
What's new

alloy boatbuilding.. - sailing the farm project!

zeyang

Aluminum
hi,
here is our project. make a double ender in alloy!

ze

Attachments

• aboela.jpg
    aboela.jpg
    64.7 KB · Views: 4,084
too cold to work in boatshed to today (-25C) so im working in the garage with some
small stuff.

Need a sumpdrain for the shower-floor in the boat. Its a little complicated since its cramped underneath the floor. I need to take of the drain pipe to remove the floor and only way is to remove the whole sump-box.

Havent been tig'ing for a long time so good to practice again.
even put in some lathe-work for fun.

ze
2013-01-18a.jpg
2013-01-18b.jpg
2013-01-18c.jpg
2013-01-18d.jpg
2013-01-18e.jpg

Very cool build, keep us posted on the progress. I have a boat build on the bucket list, but in wood, very interesting to see a build in metal.
Greg

Hi,
here are some more photos. The boat is a copy of a 100 year old double ender rescue boat.
12 meter x 4.30, but built in alloy. we are just a bunch of guys dreaming of sailing the Sandwich island where the girls are pretty and sandwiches are free :-)

2012-07-23.jpg2012-08-17.jpg2012-08-31b.jpg2012-10-30a.jpg2012-11-10d.jpg

Love it. Beautiful work. At the last waterjet shop I worked for we used to cut parts for alum boats. All were simple flat hulls, pt & stbd bottom & side + transom. I used to see many long thin pieces go to scrap and thought of making up a hull from them but figured it was too much welding but you are doing it and I think its great. I hope it all finishes out well and wish you all much smooth sailing.

What alloys are you using for the hull and frame? Curious boat user here :)

Also, how are you dealing with electrolytic corrosion? There's a lot of systems out there, I'm curious as to what is state-of-the-art, especially in tropical seas?

Will you leave a girl or two behind on the Sandwich Islands? I'll get there, eventually. . .. :D

What alloys are you using for the hull and frame? Curious boat user here :)

Also, how are you dealing with electrolytic corrosion? There's a lot of systems out there, I'm curious as to what is state-of-the-art, especially in tropical seas?

Will you leave a girl or two behind on the Sandwich Islands? I'll get there, eventually. . .. :D

hull is 5083. could be a different brand number in your area - but it contains 4.5% Mg if I remember correctly.
for profiles its 60xx. For deck its 5754H111. one bar.

inside its everything i can lay my hands on. I dont really care for cabinets etc.

ze

we are into sandcasting portholes. It will take some time until we master this but
plan is to make something like this:
2013-02-17a.jpg

Sofar all we have done is working with plates so this is totally new to us.
our first try on video!

Sailing the farm - porthole casting - YouTube

ze
sailing-the farm . a seagypsy tribe of tomorrow.

Not bad at all. I guess you'll weld the "ears" to attach the bolts and hatch covers. Will you try to mold them in on subsequent specimens?

if i could mold the ears at the same time i will spend less time on this. (I need around 20 of them)
If not i just weld them on.
A new world is kind of opens up. shaping all kind of stuff in alloy gives me a good feeling.

Beautiful work...

Please make the portholes very heavy and very strong. My experience with blue water sailing has led to my firm belief that every part on an ocean-going sailboat should be able to withstand repeated blows from a 12-pound sledgehammer. It is truly astonishing how much damage can be done by 40 tons of water dropping on the deck.

Beautiful work...

Please make the portholes very heavy and very strong. My experience with blue water sailing has led to my firm belief that every part on an ocean-going sailboat should be able to withstand repeated blows from a 12-pound sledgehammer. It is truly astonishing how much damage can be done by 40 tons of water dropping on the deck.
yes. i know.
They will be super heavy and strong with storm shutters and everything.
did some blows with a sledgehammer and then i found out i should add another 4-5 mm alloy. Think the ring will be in 1.6 cm thickness. Never seen them that thick before.

ze

Last edited:
been working on the porthole/portlight. the biggest obstacle is the size of the lathe (11 inch)
to turn the inner diameter, means i have to grab the outer rim, which is almost too wide.

2013-03-14a.jpg2013-03-14b.jpg2013-03-14c.jpg2013-03-14d.jpg2013-03-14e.jpg

Back