What's new
What's new

Aluminum mig with Miller 185 possible without spool gun?

Tony Quiring

Titanium
Moderator please move to correct place if this is not correct.

We have a miller 185 mig welder but did not get the spool gun at the time.

We picked up a spool of aluminum wire at an estate sale some time back and it has been a thought to try it out some day.

Since they have spool guns we assume the device can do the work but why is the spool gun used?

Is it due to needing short distance between spool and work or for other reasons?

Has anyone simply used aluminum wire in the machine like steel wire is used?

If so what changes are needed in style of work or setup and how well does it work?

Seeking advise before attempting to set whatever expectations there would be.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337Z using Tapatalk

done plenty of MIG in aluminum without a spool gun
make sure to use a nice new liner without kinks in it, and the biggest diameter wire you can fit through it

if you've never DC welded aluminium before you will need a lot of practice cleaning and cursing

Crank the heat up as high as it'll go and you'll likely still want more. Cover all your exposed skin, the light from aluminium BURNS quick.

Thanks for the reply.

Older machine had since new but only has consumed one spool...low hours so liner should be good.

Wire is good size if we recall correctly so good there.

Have plenty of scrap to practice on so it looks like a good rainy day after chores project.

Usually when MIG welding aluminum one would use a spool gun (short distance for the wire), or a push-pull gun (has motorized rollers in the gun that pull the wire). Aluminum filler wire is soft and so it does not "push" well.

You have to change the drive rolls in your welder to "U" groove type as well.

You will need 100% argon too.

I still would go with new liner. It has been my experience the softness of the wire causes it to bind and kink. We do quite a bit of this and have never been successful with a liner used for steel previously. We also shortened the lead to limit the length the Alum. wire travels through the whip. Second on the largest wire you can fit. Keep the lead as straight as possible. Good luck

Keep the lead as straight as possible.

Tried it a couple of times.. Yeah.. Keep that sucker as straight as possible,
you can't just whip it around and let it flop or you end up with a big ass birds
nest.

Even went so far as to replace the end of the mig gun(I'm not a welder, I don't know
what the technical term is, and I don't even care) with a straight piece instead of
the one with a bend, that actually helped a lot.

Teflon liner is what you really really want and a short torch, difference between a 3m or a 4m euro connector torch is massive on alu jobs, move the plant nearer! Helps to use the straightest neck torch possible too. Some feeders you can move the guide tubes closer to the feed wheels too, again it helps. As does a new contact tip.

Poor men on a saterday have been known to buy Teflon lined bicycle brake cable, works really well :-) Good bike shops have it on the real. using a old corroded liner even if its seen little work is going to make it harder, listen to the above advice, there cheap and get a alu specific one, it helps! Your already cutting corners not using the spoll gun, less corners you cut the easier it goes.

FYI you know you need pure argon or argon helium gas right? Steel mix won't cut it!!!

A nylon/teflon liner and drive rolls designed for aluminum then the shortest gun lead... like 8 feet will reduce problems. Pushing an aluminum wire through 12 or more feet will give problems.

used to be able to by a special plastic liner for pushing alum. thru a regular gun. some days it works and other not so good, I would try 5356 as that is a stiffer alum. wire. Matter of fact after thinking a minute I have one of the liners in the obsolete drawer, no idea what it might fit today.

"We picked up a spool of aluminum wire at an estate sale some time back and it has been a thought to try it out some day."

This could be one of your first Butt Aches, If this spool of wire has the packaging ripped off, and the wire looks white; like and old screen door;Instead of sparkly like the kid next doors mag wheels. Throw it out!and buy new. Any corrosion on the wire, will act like a [ lap ] and cut through the liner.
A spool gun makes life a lot easier. Remember to PUSH the puddle instead of dragging it.
Probably everything your attempting to do, Is unlawful in Calliforny. You'll probably have to preheat with an electric blanky,instead of acetylene . Dave [acme thread]

As someone who has been welding for 40+ years I can tell you from experience that pushing aluminum wire through a regular mig gun is not something
you want to do on a regular basis. Yes, if the liner is clean and you keep the cable straight and the moon and stars align and you hold your tongue
just right you can make it work but it will still be frustrating. Even a cheap spool gun will frustrate the h*ll out of you when the wire birdnests. Push-pull
is undoubtedly the best way to go and a good spool gun is not far behind but pushing aluminum wire through a mig gun is mostly a waste of time.

You'll also find out very quickly that 185 amps is no where near enough to do any serious aluminum welding--you need a good 300 amp power supply
for that...

Our hose or lead is not too long so it could work.

Target aluminum would by Max thickness of 1/8 inch so maybe enough amps.

We do not usually have need to weld aluminum but we are thinking of a cabinet that we was going to duels with screws and epoxy like we used for another one and picked up the wire and thought to ask.

Looks like we need to look close at the wire as well as set expectations low.

Shifting back to end of project list...

Back