What's new
What's new

Can I use this old CK spoolgun? What's it fit?

DocsMachine

Titanium
I picked up this Craigslist treasure, in the form of an old C.K. Sytematics spoolgun and converter box:

spoolgun1.jpg

It's a little rough, but the price was right ($50) and I know the same basic gun is still being made today- I used one just like it on an almost-new ESAB machine just a few months ago.

I only have a couple of buzzboxes and a TIG machine, so I'll have to keep my eyes open for a power supply for this thing. The question is, what's it fit?

Here's a closeup of the box face:

spoolgun2.jpg

... and the back of the box:

spoolgun3.jpg

The threaded military-style connector has five pins; both on the back and where the gun lead attaches at the front. The local Miller/Lincoln shop doesn't recognize it, and the box has no model number or part number we can find.

So: Can anyone identify what this thing was originally supposed to mate to? Better yet, anyone know if this thing can be converted to work with something else?

I'm tempted to borrow the ESAB gun again (helpful neighbor) and see how the actual gun connection wiring compares. If it's basically the same, at least then I know I could find a relatively new power supply it'll work with.

Anyone got a little light to shed on the subject?

Doc.

When you get a chance,open up the case and see if the wiring diagram
is glued to the inside panel. I noticed it was on a couple of welders I have.

Tom

Last edited:
Of the 5 of the amphenol, 2 are the 115 volt ( open the cover and they are the wires going into the transformer

Other two are for contactor closure to your welder. Be carefull because the switch on the front ( where you need to remove a screw and plate to switch ) chooses between a dry contact closure ( Lincoln / Newer Miller ) and 115volt ( older miller with hubble twist lock plug )

This unit is the older generation to the CK unit that Lincoln sells. Here is the manual for module that is very similar to yours

http://content.lincolnelectric.com//pdfs/products/navigator/im/IM398.pdf

Here is the manual for the gun that is identical to yours. A Lincoln distributor is the easiest place to get replacement tips, drive rolls etc from. The gooseneck is different and therefore the gas nozzle is different however. The one you have has the "Hobart" gooseneck ( they also made this gun for Hobart , Century etc )

http://content.lincolnelectric.com//pdfs/products/navigator/im/IM408.pdf

Back