What's new
What's new

American made TIG/Plasma unit?

mm58

Hot Rolled
Hello folks,

I have a small Lincoln MIG welder that I've been real happy with. I need to add a TIG machine as well as a Plasma cutter to my capabilities. I'm running out of shop space and that concerns me as far as getting two separate units. I was looking at the import 3-in-1 TIG/Plasma/Stick machines, but I'm a little leery about spending over a grand on something that might be DOA when it shows up at the door and have little or no support.

Do any of the big reputable companies make these combo units? My search of Miller, Lincoln and Esab tells me NO. If anybody knows different I'd be happy to hear from you.

Thanks for any help...

Mike

Hi Mike
The only American made welder / plasma cutter that I know of is the Powcon Plasmaplus model 225 SMC. It could do both CC and CV welding and plasma cutting, set up with the right attachments it could do everything but AC TIG. Inverters setups don't take up very much room you might want to look at the size of current models of each (welders / plasma). At my small home shop I have a 50 amp plasma and a 300 amp stick / TIG welder that both together only take up a little more than 2 square feet of space and these are old models.
Andy

The only problem with the Powcon unit is the front end is rather weak and they tend to burn out.

Tig/Stick Open Circuit Voltage is about 80v constant current
Mig OCV is about 30v constant voltage
Plasma is about 200v constant current

Thats why its tough to make an all in one. You will make compromises. As far as I can tell there were not many of the Powcon Plasma + made. They did not work very well. I have only ever seen two of them and at full power they did not even come close to what even a small Hypertherm 380 would do.

Thanks for the replies. As for Powcon, I think they are out of business. I think I'm just going to have to accept reality and buy two separate units.

Mike

Powcon was sold to ITW/Miller. Miller still sells a stud welding machine with the Powcon logo on it. I think the Original XMT-300 was either designed, or partially designed by Powcon. The composite case and construction show it.

Arc Products in San Diego sells parts and services PowCon machines. They even sell refurbished machines.

The guy that originally designed the Powcon started another company making basically the same machine:

http://www.arconweld.com/newsletters/newsletter_signup.html

Back