What's new
What's new

Hydrogen -oxagen welding.

Laren Allred

Aluminum
I worked in an aircraft factory when I was very young and I remember them using Hydrogen-ox. torch for welding the aluminum fuel tanks and cowling for the AC.
Does anyone have any info on this process and is it still used today? As I remember it was superior to a TIG weld for some applications.

Last H/O rig I saw was in a plastic shop. They used it to polish cut edges on clear plastic. Therefore, I know the setup is still available.

Oxy-hydrogen torches are also used by glassblowers to work quartz. That
combination of gasses, while providing less energy per amount of gas consumed,
does provide the single highest temperature flame available.

Jim

Nope. Acetylene burns hotter than hydrogen:

For acetylene:
Acetylene when combined with oxygen burns at a temperature of 3200 °C

For hydrogen:
The maximum temperature of about 2800 °C is achieved with a pure stoichiometric mixture, about 700 degrees hotter than a hydrogen flame in air

Hydrogen torches are only used when a super clean flame is needed. No carbon, no black dots or soot of any kind with hydrogen.

Alan

There was just a nice article in HSM by Kent White on welding various things, including aluminum. He does it all with O/A, but does list hydrogen in his fuel table. Home Shop Machinist, November/December for part III, plus the last two issues.

One thing you really need to be careful with is that the flame when burning hydrogen is virtually invisible. And it can produce appreciable amounts of UV. Normal glasses will block over 99% though.

One thing you really need to be careful with is that the flame when burning hydrogen is virtually invisible. And it can produce appreciable amounts of UV. Normal glasses will block over 99% though.

So true. Saw one serious burn resulting from misuse of a hydro/oxy torch under fluorescent lighting (no flame visibility) !

Hydrogen-oxygen mixtures were used in the semiconductor industry extensively back in the days when I was involved - oh yeah, that was in the LAST CENTURY. Nice, clean, reducing atmosphere for furnace brazing, especially ! Eutectically braze just about any clean surface to another, without flux.

So true. Saw one serious burn resulting from misuse of a hydro/oxy torch under fluorescent lighting (no flame visibility) !

Hydrogen-oxygen mixtures were used in the semiconductor industry extensively back in the days when I was involved - oh yeah, that was in the LAST CENTURY. Nice, clean, reducing atmosphere for furnace brazing, especially ! Eutectically braze just about any clean surface to another, without flux.

No, No, Not last century, Last Millennium! Has a better ring!

Back