What's new
What's new

lincoln square wave tig 355 help?

novistjed

Plastic
Hello,

I was hoping that someone might be able to point me in the right direction with our Lincoln square wave tig 355 with code# 10056. We purchased this used machine last month and it was working great. This machine is now tripping off after welding a few rods in stick mode. When you turn it back on, it will only run a few minutes then shut off again. After opening the disconnect and waiting 10 minutes, it will resume to weld a few rods and trip again. The machine is still working great in the tig mode.

What I have looked into and checked this far is that the operators manual says the secondary thermostat has open and to let the machine cool down. I have removed the cowlings and verified the machine is clean inside and that the blower fans are working properly. With an infrared thermometer I have checked the temperature of the internal parts for overheating and have not found that to be the case. I suspected the thermistor may be bad so I unplugged it and placed a jumper inline. With the infrared thermometer, I had the welder resume welding while I monitored the machine. Again it tripped out after just a few rods. It's worth noting that he is only welding at a max current of 155 on this 355. And again this issue is not present in the tig mode at higher amps. I have verified that the input power is within 10% of the name plate and even though it had previously been working fine, I double checked the 460 volt configuration for power hook up. The contactor is not having any issues in tig so hard to believe that it would in stick.

Our welder is busy with tig work on this machine at the moment, so I am hoping that we can diagnose this issue and repair it with little down time. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

Back