What's new
What's new

which angle grinder should I buy?

jshel2000

Plastic
I plan on buying myself an angle grinder to replace my current one that's older than I am. I w

13.2 Amp 6" Performance Series Angle Grinder (WE 15-15 RT DM) - - Amazon.com

Metabo WEV 15-125 RT Angle Grinder, 4.5"/5" - - Amazon.com

DEWALT DWE4366 6" High Performance Trigger Switch Grinder - - Amazon.com

Makita GA52Y 5-Inch Angle Grinder with Super Joint System - Power Angle Grinders - Amazon.com

I have been told the Makita is the best there is, but it is about 2.5/2.7 amps weaker than the others. I obviously want something that will last me a really long time, but I also want something with great performance. I've seen a lot of people praising metabo on these forums, saying they're made the best and last a really long time, but others have been saying they aren't what they used to. Same goes for the dewalt.

What do you guys think I should go with?

If there's something you like better and think I may like, all I ask is that it is a rat tail/trigger grip, and somewhere under 200 dollars.

Edit: I'd like the disc size to be 4 1/2in to 6in, and it be used nearly daily for half of the year, but not that frequently in the summer. (I build steel stage sets for my school's plays, and I use it for my robotics team)
'
I prefer the rat tail mostly because I don't like my hand being so close to the disc, and I honestly find it easier for me to control than the paddle switch toggle switch(?) grinders, since it's just what I've used since I learned how to use a grinder, and the one paddle switch Milwaukee we have just doesn't fell 'right'.

Variable speed would be awesome, but if I have to pay like 100 dollars more for it, then I can survive without it.

Edit 2: Would this Milwaukee be a good one to look at? Milwaukee 6124-3 5-inch Small Angle Grinder Trigger Grip, Lock-On - Power Angle Grinders - Amazon.com

(whoever's post I accidentally deleted, it was an accident... my bad)

Last edited:
I have always had good luck with milwaukee electric in corded tools. but in the same price class I don't think there will be a lot of difference. anything at most big box stores you need to research thoroughly. Some of the bog box is ok, but seems there is always the cheap line built to price point and you need to know which model you want.

I replaced my Makita a few weeks ago with a DeWalt similar to the one you link to. I thought that extended handle would be useful, but it really gets in the way. DeWalt makes an identical grinder (same size/amp rating) without the extended grip, and if I were to do it again I'd go with the shorter version. The long handle might be ok for large, two-handed jobs, but a lot of my work is finishing where I hold the part in one hand and the grinder in the other.

Look carefully! Some of the DeWalts are billed as 4 1/2 - 6 inch, but - that one is a reduced RPM unit. The one I got maxes out at 5" and is, as I recall over 11,000 RPM. Make sure you're getting the power (amps) and RPM you want.

I also noticed that my new DeWalt has electronic speed control. If I'm bearing down on a grind and quickly pull back, the speed momentarily increases then immediately drops to rated rpm.

First you need to determine:

What disc size?
How heavily will it be used?
Will it be used in positions where larger heavier models will be tiring?
Do you need variable speed?
What arbor size? AFAIK there are still some 5/8-11 units made but most seem to be 10mm these days.

What disc size?
What arbor size? AFAIK there are still some 5/8-11 units made but most seem to be 10mm these days.

Seem like OP was after high power 5" models.

This is actually my favourite:
Bosch Professional Winkelschleifer GWS 7-125 (Zusatzhandgriff, Aufnahmeflansch, Spannmutter, Schutzhaube, Zweilochschlussel, Karton, Scheiben-O: 125 mm, 72 Watt): Amazon.de: Baumarkt

Not the highest power but the body is so thin that I can wrap my fingers completely around it. Normal angle grinder feels huge and clumsy after getting used to that.

What disc size?

If you get a pretty pricey grinder, it has more of a chance of walking off, than say a dewalt.

I have always had good luck with milwaukee electric in corded tools. but in the same price class I don't think there will be a lot of difference. anything at most big box stores you need to research thoroughly. Some of the bog box is ok, but seems there is always the cheap line built to price point and you need to know which model you want.

I use Milwaukee's and they do the job.

I'd love to try one out, but I've heard they are another 'not as good as they were'. The shop I work in for school has had a Milwaukee grinder for like 10 years, and we couldn't break that thing if we tried, but then we got one from a couple years ago and we have had to fix it once every 6 months since we got it, and it's been something different every time. I'd love to try a few of their newest ones out, but I don't want to on my own money.

I replaced my Makita a few weeks ago with a DeWalt similar to the one you link to. I thought that extended handle would be useful, but it really gets in the way. DeWalt makes an identical grinder (same size/amp rating) without the extended grip, and if I were to do it again I'd go with the shorter version. The long handle might be ok for large, two-handed jobs, but a lot of my work is finishing where I hold the part in one hand and the grinder in the other.

Look carefully! Some of the DeWalts are billed as 4 1/2 - 6 inch, but - that one is a reduced RPM unit. The one I got maxes out at 5" and is, as I recall over 11,000 RPM. Make sure you're getting the power (amps) and RPM you want.

I also noticed that my new DeWalt has electronic speed control. If I'm bearing down on a grind and quickly pull back, the speed momentarily increases then immediately drops to rated rpm.

I think it's made to run slower spinning 6in discs that would remove the same amount of material despite the lower rpm due to a larger circumference, but since it is running slower, it runs cooler.

just a guess.

If you get a pretty pricey grinder, it has more of a chance of walking off, than say a dewalt.

(that reference to it being stolen initially went over my head, and I was about to ask if you meant something like drill bit walking on drills. Now I'm laughing at how much of a confused newbie I am. Thanks for the chuckle!:D)

Preferred grinder for pipe fitters is a 6in Metabo so you can use the 6in slicers which are extremely handy.

Hello Jshel2000
Metabo, pants down!!!
But save up a bit more & spring for the 6". I don't know how old you are, but if you're middle aged, chances are it'll be the last grinder that you'll have to buy. I bought 1 in 1983, paid a good $ for it (over $200.00, when other brands were selling for under $100.00), went through countless boxes of discs & only had to replace a set of brushes in it about 10 (maybe more???:confused:) years ago. Probably outlast me.:o Still going strong today (34 years later). Well worth the investment!:D

If you are only buying one, get a Metabo. But buy the made in germany models, not the cheaper chinese ones.
I run a fleet of around a dozen Bosch 4 1/2" grinders, along with a milwaukee or two in bigger sizes. I find the Bosch are a decent grinder for the price, usually about 2/3 or less of a Metabo.
I would buy from CPO- I have bought at least 2 dozen hand power tools from them and never had a problem, always a very good price.

Metabo Tools | Metabo Power Tools | Metabo at CPO

Don't limit yourself to just one.

More than one means you don't have to change discs

One for cutting disc, one for a wire wheel, one for a flap wheel and so on.

Also consider a walmart cheapy with a wire wheel

The Black & Decker has a guard that is quick lock and rotate-able, meaning I keep the guard on and move it around to be useful

Honestly you guys shouting metabo want to try the makitas there so much better and cheaper it will make you sick and this is coming from some one that has both and use to be a metabo fan boy too. Every single metabo grinder i have been around owned or used is worse than a makita and cost more. Weather that be std 4 1/2" or 9" or even wet stone grinders, im sorry but i will never buy another metabo again. The metabo's all vibrate more, all make more noise and all wear out faster than the makitas.

My metabo vari speed 5" has a wire cup brush sees ocasional use now and thats it, its just too loud and too much vibration to use all the time. The metabo wet stone grinder is still awaiting reassembly after braking its spindle polishing the concrete front door step, metabo took 3 weeks getting me a replacment spindle, that does not cut it for a industrial tool in my book hence i went out and bought the makita the metabo was not dropped, was not beaten on. The Makita that replaced it runs so much quieter, is more powerful despite being the same physical size and weight and unlike the metabo it does not over heat at the lower half of its speed range. Its ground over 300 square feet or concrete to mirror polish and then some! Unlike the metabo that failed after just 100 square feet of work! Equally unlike the metabo it is sealed and waterproof, a key feature for a wet grinder so its not zapping the shit out of you all the time.

I even have a straight electric die grinder from metabo because i use to rate there stuff and buy only there power tools, even that runs worse than a friends makita with damn near identical speed range and power. Like for like the only metabo thing i have that i have not found a better version of and thats the 18V metabo cordless drill, that things a monster and whilst it now occasionally jumps out of gear, its had a hard life and owes me nothing, no other cordless drill 3 years back even came close torque wise, which was the reason i got it as i had a onsite job running large step drills in sheet metal and it was a ungodly number of holes and i wanted cordless do to the location!

As to dewalt grinders, i don't know if its only the low end ones i have seen, but there all pretty cheap and nasty IME and the brush holders are plastic not metal.

Back