What's new
What's new

Anyone smart about JD2 dies?

enginebuilder

Stainless
I finally scrounged up some stock to make some dies and have a question for thosoeof you who might have some. All I currently have is round tubing dies. The tubing sets in the die, basically half of the diameter sits in the die. I need to make some square tubing dies. Would the the channel in the die need to be the full thickness of the tubing diameter to prevent it from kinking while bending? In other words for 1/2" square tubing , would the cut in the die need to be 1/2 inch deep? None of the websites for JD2 or ProTools benders show a pic of square tubing dies, only round. A pic of a die and the follower block would be great
Thanks
Jim

I have a JD2 Bender, I have a 1" square tube die. When the tubing is in the die and follower, you can still see the tube. I would have to dig them out but I think I remember about 3/16th" is showing. I get a little crowning in the bends. My die set is a 180 on 5 1/2.

Hope this helps

You might just call up JD2 and ask them. They have a number that is at the shop and not on hand so you'd have to look it up or call VanSant Enterprises and get the number from them. I would think the tube would need to sit a little more than 1/2" the depth of the tube in order to keep it from deforming too much.
I have this bender but all my dies are round tube.

I would tend to agree with enginebuilder about calling them. How would you respond if someone called you up about your product line and asked for dimensions and such so that they could make their own, rather than buying it from you?

I guess the flip side is that I'm under the impression that he DID buy the bender from them, but I still doubt they'd be too accomodating with his request. Good luck.

Chad

Call them up but don't tell them you are going to make it. Tell them you need to know the specs because the tubing must look a certain way. Hell, just make some $hit up. Who cares. Tell them if they don't provide you the dimensions, you will contact another bending company. Don't tell them you have their bender yet. Use this as part of your "leverage" in getting the answers you need.

Back