What's new
What's new

Arc problem with Hobart Tigwave 250

Trboatworks

Diamond
So what was a intermittent problem has become constant.
Arc forms but is very hot sputtering mess.
Here is photo of result:

IMG_0931.jpg

IMG_0932.jpg

All the normal things checked- clean torch, got gas etc.
The points are adjusted correctly.

Any ideals what is wrong with this machine?
I'd love this to be operator error but don't see what I might be screwing up.

Thanks all

Looks like no shielding gas. How full is the bottle? I've on occasion had trouble with what is left in a near empty bottle being not what it was supposed to be, like it was contaminated.

Yeah agree- looks exactly like no gas.
I have nearly full bottle, torch has gas out cup- can feel it and hear it coming out.
Everything is setup as per how I have been running and getting no problems.
I was seeing this once in awhile but now will not weld at all.

Is it possible the machine is cutting off gas when arc struck?

Is it possible the machine is cutting off gas when arc struck?

To check for that, have someone watch your flowmeter while you weld. If there's a tear in a hose or torch lead it can open up and let air IN to contaminate the argon when it is flexed. I doubted that, but it's true.

Try turning the argon way up for a few minutes? Did that bottle ever weld correctly?

Ok - thanks- welder has been sitting for awhile so maybe a hose got hit and damaged- I will run over everything and check.
I'm using a flex head torch – it's not that old but maybe the damn thing is shot.
Yes- welded off this bottle fine for a job a couple of months back.

Change gas cylinder. Got a bad bottle and drove me nuts, thought it was the machine after checking everything more than twice. Borrowed a cylinder of gas to check and it was the gas. Also found out it was not that uncommon .

I could be wrong but what it looks like high frequency only arcing, High frequency can transfer without a good ground but not carry weld current. If high frequency is turned up it will look just like that.
Clean surface oxidation off plate you are welding where ground attaches, then check ground clamp itself. next check connectors/lugs on ground/work cable all the way back to the power source.
Also check your torch cable as well. High frequency current super imposes the outside of the current carrying conductor.

Guys- thanks everyone for the advice- it was spot on.
Gas was the problem- I changed out the new flex head torch and hose set for the ancient TEC set that came with the welder and everything is working great:

IMG_0934.jpg

I don't know if the flex head is shot or if there is a nip in the hose set but don't care much- this old gear gets me back up and running.

Thanks again

Back