What's new
What's new

Arc Welding 1/8" flatstock

3in1

Plastic
Hello,

I need to lengthen a part about an inch that is 1/8" thick and 3/8" wide by arc welding an extra piece of 1/8" X 3/8" flatstock to the end of it. After that's done, I need to bend a slight arc into the entire piece. I used to weld larger parts years ago using a min of 120 amps so this small stuff is not that familiar to me and I don't want to wipe out the part.

Should I weld just one side or both sides on something this thin? Only one side will be visible.

All I have is a Lincoln 230 amp arc welder and I'm out of gas so I'm not able to gas weld it or mig or tig.

Thanks!!

Bevel it with a grinder on both sides, and weld from both sides.
If you only weld one side, then try to bend it, it will probably break.
Tig would be best.
Stick will work, but you will have to be a bit generous on the edges (the 1/8" thick side) and then grind it back to square and flat.

If all you can use is stick. V the ends of both peice and butt them together on another small piece of 1/8" thick. Weld the joint starting on the small piece. Then grind that little piece of 1/8 from the back. It will give you 100% penetration and you'll maintain the edges, with careful grinding it won't even show that it was welded.

Its Same thing as doing a welding coupon that has a backing plate, just in much smaller scale.

If using stick, you may also want some run-off plates on the sides. Stick some scrap on either side to start the rod and then run straight across the weld joint. Knock each one loose and then repeat on the other side. This prevents a big melted spot right on the edge of the stock.

From SND: V the ends of both peice and butt them together on another small piece of 1/8" thick. Weld the joint starting on the small piece
I'm a bit unclear on this idea. Would I put a small piece in between the 2 main pieces (-|-) so I'd have 4 welds or would I be putting a piece underneath the 2 butted together pieces leaving a gap to fill in (-_-).

Thanks!!

Yes, you got it. The little piece of scrap goes under so that instead of just melting thru, there's something to weld to( you just have to grind it off after ). Just like a backing plate.

Would gas welding with rg45 rod prevent the melting off of the edges as happens so easily with stick welding?

Back