What's new
What's new

Horseshoes

I have never tried to do this but would think they are made from pretty cheap cast iron - so any normal repair techniques should work. I'd probably try to braze them first.

I seriously doubt if they are made of cast iron as they are subject to a rather large shock load to a rather small cross section of material if they hit on top of the post thrown from 40 feet. I would think some type of cast steel.

Horseshoes for horses are mild steel. They weld just fine. There is a whole industry of horseshoe knick knacks, including coat racks, andirons, goofy little cowboy candlesticks, and so on.

Horseshoes for pitching are made of all kinds of stuff- some of em probably are cast iron, some are aluminum, I have a zamac one sitting around, and I have seen plastic ones too.

Racing horseshoes are aluminum- I had a friend at the track give me a bucket of em, but I never did anything with em.

First you gotta figure out what yours are- then, if they are indeed cast iron, tig brazing is probably the best bet. Easy, quick, no preheating or post weld slow anneal.

what is this- some kind of cruel trick to play on a horse? :eek: welding their shoes together to make them trip when they try to take that first step...hehe....sorry couldn't resist...

Back