What's new
What's new

Miller 14 pin Foot pedal ?

Andy St

Stainless
Hi
I'm looking for help with a miller 14 pin plastic foot pedal. There is one that is list for sale but seems to be broken. If anyone has one that they could take apart and show me the insides of that would be a great help. The one that I'm looking at might have a broken hinge pin and I would like to see how they are made. Anyone know the model number of the old style heavy metal miller type that will work with the newer 14 pin remotes?
Thanks
Andy

I think I have also found a heavy metal old school pedal that might work. Will a RFC-14 pedal work with a miller Trailblazer 302?
Thanks
Andy
I'll call miller about this one later on but thought some one here might know.

andy, most foot pedals only use 5 wires, if you take yours apart, I'm sure only 5 are used out of the 14 pins, The OHM VALUE OF THE [POT] is the only difference between most foot-pedals. You can get a replacement [pot] at Radio-Shack. Some of the older foot-pedals used a solid carbon wound resistor, with a brush type pick-up. those aren't so easy to alter. Dave [acme thread]

Hi Dave
As always thanks for your help. I don't have the foot pedal (or the welder either), I'm looking to buy one. If I had it I would just look inside to see what needs repaired. There are two used ones that I'm looking at from afar the first one is an old style (heavy metal) RFC-14. With that one I just wanted to know if it will work with a Trailblazer 302 (that I'm looking to buy used). The pedal was made before they even had the 302 so I just want to make sure it will work. The second one is a newer plastic type that might be broken at the hinge pin. With it I just wanted to see what the inside mechanicals look like. That way I know what to expect if it needs fixed. The miller site list at least three resistor sizes 130W 15 OHM, 130W 1000 OHM and 300W 25 OHM but there might be others. I don't know which one the trailblazer uses and it wasn't listed in the manual.
Thanks
Andy

Call Miller. NOT email. Phone call. Talk to a real human being. Be prepared with the serial number of the 302.

Early Miller foot pedals are a big Pain in the ASS.

There were several early models that are NOT interchangeable, and very expensive, some virtually unobtainable. These are all the big carbon block resistor style, and some have two plugs. They are not interchangeable with the new 14 pin plastic versions.

If the 302 in question has the two plug system, you may be able to buy an adapter cable from miller, and then put it on a new or used RFC-23. Which is the big metal box type foot pedal, which, new from miller, is around $400.

This is one reason many older Miller tig machines are so cheap- because a new foot pedal is four hundred bucks.

As far as I know, there are no aftermarket substitutes- there is a company that makes generic foot pedals, and they plainly state on their website that they dont make anything to substitute for the old style two plug metal/carbon miller pedals-

TIG (GTAW) Welding Foot Control Pedal

But you could call em anyway- again, with the actual serial number of the welder- you can download, for free, from the miller site, the manual for that welder if you have the serial number, and it will be helpful in figuring out which pedal would work with it.

Ries beat me to it, call SSC, I have got a bunch of different plugs and pedals from them over the years. I can't say if they will have old 302 stuff for sure or not.

On the plastic pedals, they are held together by a springy section of plastic that holds it all together. Push in on each side and it pops apart. Never have seen one broken there.

The pot is not replaceable with anything other than a miller part. The pot has the timing belt pulley molded to the shaft and will not come off in one piece, I have tried.

The microswitch is generic.

Old pedals with the two separate connectors will not work with any machine that has a 14 pin connector. Any 14 pin connector pedal will work with any 14 pin connector machine.

Thanks Everyone

Ries: From what miller told me as long as you have the right "old" metal pedal (14 pin Amphenol) it will interchange with the new plastic pedal.

Macona: Good to see you back on here (if you were gone ?) That was exactly the info I needed on the plastic pedal. It just came a little to late for me to bid on the auction. The pedal went for $50 but the high bidder didn't have to bid against me, so who knows what it would have went to. I can get one of the old metal ones for $100 + shipping in good working condition. I didn't really like the idea of a plastic pedal unless it was one of the wireless ones $$$$. I did call Miller and they were great on the phone just not much help with my question about the plastic pedal.

Anyone know if the SSC pedals are the same as the POWCON pedal? They look about the same. I really like the POWCON pedals and have several of them. Very easy to take apart and clean. May be I can just change the pot / pot's in one of them to the 1000 ohm needed for the miller. I was able to buy a box full of Amphenol plugs and there was one of the right 14 pins in it. Any one have a Female AMP 14 pin cord cap type plug for Powcon that they would like to sell?

Any info on the Profax pedals?

For general info the old Miller metal pedal that will work is the RFC-14 and it has 1000 ohm 130w resistor in it.

Thanks again for the help
Andy

Yeah, I am not on here as much as I used to be.

I have never seen a plastic pedal physically broken. They are made out of some tough plastic.

The powcon pedal is different. I believe the connector may be turned in its shell 45 degrees. I know esab does that to make sure they dont plug the wrong thing in there.

Newer millers use a 10k if I remember. Old ones used a 1k high wattage rheostat. You cannot use a small pot to control an old machine. The rheostat directly controls the mag amp in the machine.

Most new machines use a 5 to 10k pot and it is just wired as a voltage divider. One end to ground, the other to positive voltage. The wiper outputs a variable voltage in relation to the position. So anything in the 5 to 10k range should work on any newer machine.

Back