What's new
What's new

Best way to sell press brake tooling

AndyF

Stainless
I purchased a press brake earlier this week that came with a lot of tooling - several dies are duplicates and I'll probably try to find new homes for them later this summer. Most of the duplicates are Amada. What is the best way to sell the tooling - ebay, this forum, other? Other than manufacturer, if known, die geometry and die length what other information should be included in the ad?

Why would you want to?

You can take the tooling and cut it into smaller segments as you need it. Cut windows in it. Put locating pins. Tweak it.

Why would you want to?

You can take the tooling and cut it into smaller segments as you need it. Cut windows in it. Put locating pins. Tweak it.

The few pieces I am looking at selling are duplicates of duplicates. As an example, I probably have >20' of one style gooseneck die in various lengths. The brake is 48", almost all of the parts I am planning to make on it are <36", so it isn't likely that I'll ever need >20' of this particular die.

Do you have any flattening dies?

No, it is all bending or special tools the company I purchased the brake from didn't need anymore. It seems like they saw this as an opportunity to clean up their toolroom and get rid of a lot of dies. I received close to 1 ton of tooling with the press.

The few pieces I am looking at selling are duplicates of duplicates. As an example, I probably have >20' of one style gooseneck die in various lengths. The brake is 48", almost all of the parts I am planning to make on it are <36", so it isn't likely that I'll ever need >20' of this particular die.

If you are doing boxes or pans, it seems like that would be pretty handy. Today you have an edge that is 3.2" wide. You need to cut a segment to 3.2". Tomorrow you have one that is 3.95". You have to cut a 3.95" segment. Etc.

HGR has press brake tooling at a dollar or two per pound. I would imagine that your potential customer base is smaller, so maybe you can get $0.50 per pound in bulk or spend a lot of time trying to sell it on eBay.

Also check out the astonishly low price of non-precision new press brake tooling. We get ours from Power Brake Dies. PRESS BRAKE TOOLING - PRESS BRAKE DIES | POWER BRAKE DIES Their "in stock standards". That's for new tooling.

One ton of tooling for a 48" brake is barely scratching the surface. For our 48" brake, I bought 15' of new matched punch sections for our most common operations, and at some point may regret not buying more, since its custom made and matching it perfectly is unrealistic.

Maybe that's less of a concern with the higher precision Euro tooling, truly interchangeable, but it is a concern with the old standard tongue & groove.

FYI the euro tooling i used from amada very much matched up perfectly.

Unless its in near perfect condition and rust free your going to struggle to get much for it, unless you can find some one thats just bought a compatable press and is in a situation were there going to need a variety of tools (think laser cutters - places dealing with lots of thicknesses - diffrent customers needs etc)

Best thing for identification is to provide the real code of the manufacturer, so if it is Amada - from Amada original catalog you can get in the web.
Or pictures with geometry. People look for the sizes so photo is not the best way to show all the dimensions. This forum looks popular for industrial people to speak about the tooling offers as well.

We have a large rack in the back of the shop that holds our spare press brake tooling,we been stock piling spares for years and comes in handy from time to time. I generally never get rid of any press brake tooling and yes there is doubles and even a couple of triples out there.
That said to answer your question you could list it in the forums For Sale section.
I have purchased tooling on e-bay in the early days of e-bay before it got screwed up.
There's always tooling listed for sale there, not sure if any of it ever sells, always very high price.
You could even contact local used machinery dealers some will purchase tooling.
Down side is freight, most of this has to be crated to prevent shipping damage and weight runs the price up

One good alternative is to send me some pictures and be reasonable pricing-- I have 2 brakes without tooling. In the past, I bought at auction. On press brake tooling, the various widths of the V-Dies will impact greatly what can be bent on the tooling. Would need to see what I'm buying.

Back