What's new
What's new

I need help to TIG a chainsaw

jjock

Plastic
I have a Husky 2100 chainsaw, and when I was in the middle of falling a big fir tree the drive pawl for the clutch broke an arm and before I could get the saw stopped, it had eaten through the chain cover.
I know it can be welded because a friend of mine does it regularly. Unfortunately, he has gone on holiday for six weeks and I have no way to find out what rod he uses.
The reason I am concerned, is that I believe the piece could have magnesium in it and want to be certain to get the proper TIG rod. Does anyone know what rod I should use for this job? I have another saw that I can use, but the saw with its 5 ft bar is an overkill for this job.
Yes, a replacement clutch cover would be the answer, but this is an older saw and this is one of the parts that failed most often. They are not available, and repair is my only option.
Bob

Probably 4043 will do. Heat it up good before you try welding it though as there is going to be years of oil soaked into that casting,

File some filings and see if they burn. If they do it is magnesium. Your local weld shop should have some rod. Be careful with preheat. You don't want it to just slump away in front of your eyes or (catch on fire probably pretty hard to do but it can happen). I alway but a slight bevel leaving a kerf for fit up.I usually cleaned with 2+2 first. Good luck.

I am not so concerned about preheat for welding as cooking t to get the oil out of the metal. About 500 degrees for 20 to 30 minutes out to do the trick. An old toaster oven might be an option.

I am not so concerned about preheat for welding as cooking t to get the oil out of the metal. About 500 degrees for 20 to 30 minutes out to do the trick. An old toaster oven might be an option.

That is a great idea, I was able to make off with the oven that "she who must be obeyed" never used. My plan was to use it to condition welding rods, now I have more use for it than she had.
Bob

The sheiding gas with tig or mig keeps the Magnesium from catching fire. Its prob magnesium and i have welded lots of them. If you do use 4043 and it cracks right away and it real shiney its magnesium...Bob

Always contact the manufacturer for alloy type for specific parts. They can tell you the alloy. Your welding supply can recommend a filler alloy and process advice. I know magnesium reacts strongly with Mueratic Acid (pool acid), aluminum won’t. Have a bucket of water handy to dip the part if you get a reaction.

Thanks for all the replies, my buddy is back from his hunting expedition and he welded it for me to show me how easy it is. From watching him work, I won't be afraid to take on the project myself, should something made of magnesium break on me. He welded it with a cast magnesium rod just like I would weld an aluminum piece. His only caution to me was to weld it away from anything that is flammable. He has welded a lot of chainsaws, and never burned one yet, but there is always the first one.
Bob

There aint no way the manufacturer will tell you the allow, especially if you say you are going to weld it.

A potential litigation nightmare...

Back