What's new
What's new

Instruction manual for PowCon 400SM?

Jim S.

Hot Rolled
I was just given a PowCon 400SM welder and would appreciate a source for an instruction manual.

My first requirement is to properly connect the primary for 230 single phase so if anyone knows that scheme, it will ge greatly appreciated. It appears to be currently set for 230 3 phase based on the plug and some hand writing on the case. Presumably it works but I'd like to check it out before investing much in it.

PowCon gets good reviews from my reading on this site and others, except for sole-source repair and high parts prices. I understand the unit will be derated on single phase but I doubt I'll ever need more than 150 amps.

Regards,

Jim

I think for single phase you just put power to 2 instead of 3 wires. I will look in the morning. I have a manual for a 400SMT.

I was just given a PowCon 400SM welder and would appreciate a source for an instruction manual.

My first requirement is to properly connect the primary for 230 single phase so if anyone knows that scheme, it will ge greatly appreciated. It appears to be currently set for 230 3 phase based on the plug and some hand writing on the case. Presumably it works but I'd like to check it out before investing much in it.

PowCon gets good reviews from my reading on this site and others, except for sole-source repair and high parts prices. I understand the unit will be derated on single phase but I doubt I'll ever need more than 150 amps.

Regards,

Jim

Pick two if the three and go. It derates somewhat, mostly the duty cycle though.

If you need parts or manuals contact Arc Products in San Diego.

-Jerry

Thank you for the replies.

Separately, I found the below info posted to another site by a tech who works at Arc Products. It verifies the voltage change and phase change procedures. I hope to get it powered up and checked out in a few days.

Regards,
Jim
--------------------------------------------------
"The smaller Powcon Units (eg. 300SS, 300SM, 300ST, 400SS, 400SM) 230/460 Volt units can be changed over to 230 or 460 Volts. Units like the 200SM don't have the dual voltage or changeover features.

Voltage Changeover on 300 & 400 Series Units:
(1) Behind the Front Panel (between the two PC Boards there are four studs and two bussbars covering the studs. The two bussbars covering studs 2 & 3 sets that changeover for 460 Volts. If the bussbars are split -- one covering 1 & 2, the other covering 3 & 4 sets the Unit for 230 Volts.
(2) Near the Rear Panel (on the right side of the Unit when facing the Rear Panel) there are also four studs and two bussbars. The configuration is the same as (1) -- 230 V for 2 & 3, and 460 V for 1 & 2 and also 3 & 4.
(3) On the Capacitor Changeover PC Board (tan Bd on right side when the facing Front Panel) there are some bussbars and standoffs. Around the standoffs there are broken lines and solid lines drawn on the Board. The broken lines are vertical for 230 Volts and the solid lines are horizontal for 460 Volts. On 460 V, the two short bussbars are doubled up across the standoffs.

Phase Changeover
The Phase Changeover is independent of the Voltage Changeover. The Phase Change is done on the end of the power cable; nothing need be done inside the Unit. The change is accomplished with:
Older Style Cable: There are Black, White, Red and Green Wires. The Green is the Chassis Ground. The Black and White are the hot wires for single phase. The Red Wire is added as a hot wire for three phase.
Newer Style Cable: There are Black, Brown, Blue and Green with a Yellow Stripe Wires. The Green with the Yellow Stripe is the Chassis Ground Wire. The Black and Brown are the hot wires for single phase. The Blue Wire is added as a hot wire for three phase.

The extra wire on Single Phase (Red or Blue) must be taped back and isolated so it cannot touch other wires.

If you have any questions please call me.

Thank you,
Ian Mascarenhas
Arc Products' Technical Service Representative"

I just got the instruction manual from Arc-Products. They plan to post the Powcon manuals on their site for free download soon so the technician simply sent me a digital copy by email. They were very helpful.

The other good news is that the welder appears to work perfectly.

Jim

Back