What's new
What's new

Bucket teeth

Bobcatter

Plastic
I have an old 54 inch skid steer bucket that I am trying to fix it for digging. The teeth have a slot about 5/8 inch wide that fits onto the edge of the bucket. One side is on top and one side is on the bottom. Since the edge of the bucket is worn, there are gaps between the bucket and the new teeth. With a MIG, can I fill the gaps or do they have to be tight? Also, I would think the teeth have to be straight out of the bucket, even if the bucket edge is curved, right? Any experience with welding teeth on buckets? Thanks!

I have built several excavator buckets and teeth. I am certainly no expert so if someone else has better advice that's ok. I had gaps between the teeth and the edge of the bucket too.I installed the teeth then welded the gaps using stringer beads . Once the gaps were filled I welded the teeth top and bottom. I used ER70S-6 to weld the teeth on then hard surfaced them with MG765. These buckets have been in service for over two years now with no problems.I think I have photos somewhere if you are interested.

Hey, thanks, that is what I wanted to hear. I sure didn't want to experiment and find out that I was all wrong! I don't have THAT good of a grinder yet!

Since there going on a Bobcat theres not a huge amount of shearing forces to worry about, I would suggest that you get the corner shanks as close as possible to the side edge and build a lot of extra quality weld here and run a few beeds and possibly a narrow plate on the outside corner for extra strenght! You pick at things with the corners,while you have the welder out, be creative and add something small on each side above the tooth, you won't regret it! :D

Menace brings up a good point on the corners. What I have done in the past is angle those outermost teeth outward just a smidge. That way when you put the replacements (disposable "caps) they reach the edge.
This was done for a sod company so that when they do the grading they can get up to the very close edge of the foundation.
Side note: IF you ever need to remove a blade from a front loader or some other bucket, I have found the easiest and FASTEST way was to use a "scarfing" tip on the gas axe. I removed 20+ft of weldment with one of these tips and it was very accurate and clean compared to all other methods explored...Cheapest too ;)

Thanks for all the input, looks like tomorrow is the day to get er done. I like the corner ideas! Gaps look to be 1/8 to 1/4 inch at places, but I think each tooth has tight areas somewhere on it. Also, there are bolt holes that I could plug weld. I'm using a MM 175 with .035 plain wire and gas mix, any suggestions on settings?

A suggestion: I'd run hot and preheat. You might want to hold your interpass temperatures under 1000 degreesF. My choice of filler metal would be ER80S-D2 as it is good dissimilar steels and high sulfur or carbon content. But in this application it may be overkill.

Back