What's new
What's new

Building an alligator shear

Maksim

Plastic
Good day people
Hope that everyone is doing well

Please I would like some help and advise on this new project of mine

I'm trying to build an alligator shear for my scrap yard but unfortunately I don't know where to start
I have good experience in building a recycling equipments as I did built my own balling previously

Thanks and regards

Where is SA are you? We have serviced a few of them for scrap yards before... I can tell you this much that they are serious iron. Built to withstand a lot of punishment.

What size are you looking at? Your blade material alone is going to cost loads of money.

If you dig thru the books from Lincoln electric, they had a series of books
involving awards to company's that changed from castings to weldments.

One project was a Kling alligator shear, and the write up with drawings
is pretty good.
Should be just what your looking for.

A local fellow has an alligator shear to large for a 40T track hoe to handle properly. And the shear is a pile of junk. The axle for the jaw seems to be the problem. It has to much flex and allows the movable jaw to bend away from the fixed jaw. So without the benefit of proper engineering (read experimentation) "that looks about right" will result in a pivot and jaw about 1/4 the necessary stiffness.

Where is SA are you? We have serviced a few of them for scrap yards before... I can tell you this much that they are serious iron. Built to withstand a lot of punishment.

What size are you looking at? Your blade material alone is going to cost loads of money.

I'm based in gauteng

I was in a souvenir shop in Florida. There were hundreds of small alligator heads for sale.
I always wondered how they snipped the heads off that many baby alligators.
Now I know what the machine is called. Cool.

Digger,

Would you have the title of the Lincoln Electric book with the Kling Alligator Shear plans?

"One project was a Kling alligator shear, and the write up with drawings
is pretty good."

Thanks in advance.

Chuck
Burbank, CA

Digger,

Would you have the title of the Lincoln Electric book with the Kling Alligator Shear plans?

"One project was a Kling alligator shear, and the write up with drawings
is pretty good."

Thanks in advance.

Chuck
Burbank, CA

gonna take me awhile to dig it up, in storage somewhere.

I would try google books first.

if digger doug cant find it maybe go visit with someone who has one and take the critical measurements i didn't realize those were designed for ferrous metals.
totally off the topic I spent a fair amount of time at my second job I ever had scrapping aluminum pipe, and cutting the copper pipes out of condensers, cutting it to bailer lenth in one of those. But it was old school one that was gear driven probably 10,000 lbs plus, about 20 closings a minute and when it was powered up it was chopping a totally terrifying machine. I was told if I ever put ferrous metal in it and got caught I would be fired immediately

Back