What's new
What's new

Building a new fab/weld table, part 2...

jimmysgarage

Cast Iron
Hello all,

I last posted on the earlier thread, link here: http://www.practicalmachinist.com/vb/showthread.php/building-new-weld-fab-179769.html?t=179769

Well, I finally had the time to build the (IMHO) Ultimate Poor-Man's Weld/Fab table. The idea came from Jim Shaper ;) who kindly posted pictures and details on how to build the table from I beam and C channel. I spent just under $500 on material, for mine, which measures 48" x 78". My time to build the unit is under 16 hours. This included cutting all material, drilling all the holes, milling the bolted-on C channel mounts, so they are all the same height and welding everything together.

The main difference on mine is that I only used 4 bolts for each channel instead of Jim's 6. The best "improvement" that I made was a $35 investment for renting a mag drill!! No bruised shin's!! :rolleyes5:

A few folks questioned the clamping ability to the table. I suppose using regular "c" clamps could be a challenge, as one would have to tighten them from the bottom. I use the Bessy/Strongarm "L" style clamp that has a block on the end to step over the channel. Works very well with no issues that I have found yet.

Hope this may help a few folks if you're thinking on your new table design. This is pretty fast to build, fairly cheap and the bonus of plenty of storage space for your clamps. You simply clamp them on the side of the I beam...

Once again, Hats-Off to Jim Shaper and everyone's comments. It was a real eye-opener once you use it.

I'll post pictures soon... the website seems to be having difficulty right now..

Jimmy Robbins
Jimmysgarage:cheers:

Attachments

• 2009_1213christmas090026.jpg
    2009_1213christmas090026.jpg
    90.1 KB · Views: 6,399
  • 2009_1213christmas090031.jpg
    2009_1213christmas090031.jpg
    93.2 KB · Views: 36,852
  • 2009_1213christmas090033.jpg
    2009_1213christmas090033.jpg
    82.3 KB · Views: 43,569
Great job.

One day I'm going to get rid of my plate table to make something similar.

RE: clamp storage. It's faster to just weld a 1/2" round bar or similar across two legs and hang them instead of individually clamping (and unclamping) each one.

Another thing: It looks like you could put some sort of roll-out cutting table (or other storage) between the lower beams just under the table.

Mark,

To answer your question, I started with the I beams on the floor, then made a chalk line layout and squared them to one-another. Then I placed the channels on top, squared them as well and marked the I beam with a 1 1/2" spacing between.
With this layout, I made a template in which I had drilled the holes which would be for the "clips" and the I beam. The "clips" are 3 1/2" wide for the 5" channel. This give clearance for the web of the channel and a little bit of wiggle room. Once the holes were drilled, I simply bolted the "clips" on the I beam, welded the nuts to them and tightened it down. Then placing the channels over the "clips", I started like Jim Shaper mentioned.... one end, then the other and fill as you go.. making sure each one is square and evenly spaced as you go.
Having said that, it's not perfect and I don't think any welding table would be. Mine is 1/8" of an inch out of square and 2 of the channels are simply taller than the others by 1/16 or more. Some folks may say that's very good for a weld table (like me) others may think it's a poor job... I guess that's up to the user/builder...
I posted a picture when I was drilling the I beam. You can see where I had already made the layout of the channel and the spacing between...

Thanks for asking!:)

Attachments

• 2009_1213christmas090027.jpg
    2009_1213christmas090027.jpg
    91.5 KB · Views: 4,089
Jimmy, very nice work.

If you care about getting the two c-channels that stand proud of the table reduced to fit, wouldn't it be easy enough to un-bolt them, and fly-cut the mounting pads?

I'll surely be building something quite similar, but a fair bit smaller.

Racer Al,

Yes I could mill down the affected channels but for the projects I build up on this table, it will do the job fine. The one area that is proud is in one corner. I have since welded mounts on the ends of each I beam, to place the vise and other fixtures when needed. I used it today....it was a dream compared to my old, worn-out plate top....

I wonder how it would be if you made the top from heavy-wall rectangle tubing? Would make for easier clamping. Also have a ready surface on the bottom for bolting, no need to weld in short 3½" pieces. I realize it would not be as strong as C Channel.

Back