What's new
What's new

lincoln 99NI rod with TIG to repair CI

rimcanyon

Diamond
I have some Lincoln 99NI Rod, which is described as good for repairing cast iron castings that need to be machined.

Can I use this rod with TIG? If so, what is the best setting: AC with continuous high frequency? 80A? Are there any special requirements?

I'm repairing a 4" machine vise that broke at the rear. I have beveled the edges of the cracks, and attached the pieces together with cap screws.

I also have some silver-colored Harris brazing rod if that would be a better choice, but I would like the repair to look like base metal if possible.

Thanks

-Dave

You can tig cast but its no fun. Surrounding areas tend to kind of burn away as you weld. If you do try use DC electrode neg like stainless.

I assume this is stick? Then use it as stick.

My dad welds up cast all the time in his shop. He uses a dual-shield mig wire. Built up and ground down it is mostly indistinguishable from the surrounding areas. Thats how I repaired the broken covers on my 10EE.

Macona, thanks for the suggestion.

I don't have an arc welder, only oxy acetylene and TIG. Will the 99NI rod work with oxy-acetylene? I have brazed cast iron many times in the past, I'm just hoping to find a technique that will give a less visible repair.

-Dave

i've actually tried this once , and the rod spit and sputtered and sizzled. it was ugly.

are you sure your tig machine won't function as a stick welder?. most do. you may just
need a stinger/rod clamp that bolts to the studs on your tig .i think the ni99 rods were made
to weld with the flux they come with.

If you have a TIG, you have a stick welder. Just put on a cable and stinger. Cast iron is pretty picky stuff at times and others times it patches up nicely. There is only a hundred variables, preheat or not, burn in something to retain heat for a slow cool..or not. Just lots of playing until you get it.

The TIG will make a nice DC arc for melting and brazing but the junk in iron tends to pop and fiz and otherwise mess up the electrode. Some of the cast iron repair rod for arc do a decent job and slag over to shield the iron and keep in heat that seems to make an easier repair than a shielded arc or open flame.

Back